BYC Café

Not a lot eats dogs these days. :p
But people are not to be trusted.....
When I lived in Florida (many many years ago)….I worked at a vet and we saw dogs shot because they strayed onto a neighbor's property.....dogs poisoned for who knows what reason....meat with ground glass in it thrown over fences to dogs. There was a lot of dog fighting in the area and I remember one incident where a man drove up his driveway to see his dogs (who were chained up) thrown over his chain link fence and hanging by their chains. A rival dog fighter had killed them all in that shocking way. I remember many dogs stolen to be used as "bait" dogs to build a fighting dog's confidence. I was in my late teens....these experiences made an impression. I know where my dogs are at all times.

When I lived in Florida (many many years ago)….I worked at a vet and we saw dogs shot because they strayed onto a neighbor's property.....dogs poisoned for who knows what reason....meat with ground glass in it thrown over fences to dogs. There was a lot of dog fighting in the area and I remember one incident where a man drove up his driveway to see his dogs (who were chained up) thrown over his chain link fence and hanging by their chains. A rival dog fighter had killed them all in that shocking way. I remember many dogs stolen to be used as "bait" dogs to build a fighting dog's confidence. I was in my late teens....these experiences made an impression. I know where my dogs are at all times.

How awful! That would definitely make an impression.

My former in-laws raised teacup poodles and they had a couple instances where people tried to steal them. That right there is enough reason to know where your pet is at all times.

My dogs are in my bed 😁 I never leave my dogs outside without me being there. I do want an outdoor dog that's big and can protect our property, but I'm waiting until we move.

How awful! That would definitely make an impression.

My former in-laws raised teacup poodles and they had a couple instances where people tried to steal them. That right there is enough reason to know where your pet is at all times.
It's more common than people understand. Breeders and people who compete with their dogs are well known in some circles....their dogs draw attention and then they can become a target.

Well I kinda started us of on a downer post, didn't I? Remembering all that brings to mind a big, black, dobe that belonged to a man who was involved in dog fighting. My vet treated the man's dogs without reporting him (my vet felt the dog deserved treatment and he knew if he reported the man it would have little impact and the dog wouldn't receive medical care....that's a whole other debate) ....but anyway....the big dobe had no ears....his ears had been trimmed off even with his head so there were just holes....no ear flap. This way, when fighting, the other dog couldn't grab and tear the ears. To add insult to injury...he named this beautiful boy "Ugly". 😢

Good morning Cafe. Thanks for all the coffee.
It's pretty warm here at 29F and will hit mid-40s today. Nice day for a run in the fields for Bella with her tall pointy ears and Skittles with his irregular floppy ears. Just a pleasant day watching dogs run (under control) through the fields and woods and along a creek and play and be dogs. (Thinking happy thoughts, thinking happy thoughts...)

Good morning Cafe. Thanks for all the coffee.
It's pretty warm here at 29F and will hit mid-40s today. Nice day for a run in the fields for Bella with her tall pointy ears and Skittles with his irregular floppy ears. Just a pleasant day watching dogs run (under control) through the fields and woods and along a creek and play and be dogs. (Thinking happy thoughts, thinking happy thoughts...)
It's going to hit the 40s here today but forecast says rain for the next 12 hours. :hmm I love doing that with my dogs!! We have great hiking trails in our area.

Back
Top Bottom