BYC Café

I love to see pullet take a cockerel to school!...have had it happen a couple times here.
Do you have lights in the coop as well?
The boys weren't messing with the girls. They were messing with each other and she broke up their challenge.
Yes. I had the lights on in the coop.
I went out and turned them loose and turned the light off in the coop before I went to work.

The boys weren't messing with the girls. They were messing with each other and she broke up their challenge.
Right...was about the same here.

Yes. I had the lights on in the coop.
I went out and turned them loose and turned the light off in the coop before I went to work.
So not supplemental lighting per se.

I finally had the opportunity to use the run flood light I installed. I had to be to work early so I set the run switch timer to 2 hours and put out the feed. I turned on the coop light to get everyone moving out and shot a few handfuls of bird seed out for them.
View attachment 2432463
The little boys stayed behind to crow in the coop and deafen me further. They started to flare their hackles at each other. Surprisingly, one of the spring pullets broke them up before they started sparring. She first drove off Napoleon then when Tate didn't drop his hackles, she drove him off. Interesting.
Did they startle when the light came on?

I have heard that there is a danger of them injuring themselves with the light coming on in the darkness. Some think it is better to add the extra light in the evening

i’ve been starting to convince my mom to let me add to our flock. she said if i can contribute to food payments (she usually buys it all, we’re a family household) then i can get a pair of hens. what should i get if this works out? i’m thinking maybe silkies (there’s a person in the neighborhood nearby who breeds them) but i’m not sure!

i’ve been starting to convince my mom to let me add to our flock. she said if i can contribute to food payments (she usually buys it all, we’re a family household) then i can get a pair of hens. what should i get if this works out? i’m thinking maybe silkies (there’s a person in the neighborhood nearby who breeds them) but i’m not sure!
If they are going to be kept together , you want birds about the same size at maturity.

Back
Top Bottom