BYC Café

Napoleon at his morning ritual of trying to entice the ladies into his chosen nest box.
IMG_20210118_082424392.jpg

Seneca in her warm bath. Yes. It's a turkey roasting pan.
IMG_20210118_083539617.jpg

I soaked her for 30 minutes while gently scrubbing at the vent. It was starting to really bother her by the end of the time so I rinsed her, dried her and smeared a good gob of triple antibiotic ointment on her. I think the tissue is necrotic.
IMG_20210118_092031845.jpg

Any thoughts on what to do now? I'm not seeing a good outcome for her.

I'd keep the AB ointment up daily(or more) bath every few days.
Is she eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK....or acting sick??
She's eating and pooping great. She is uncomfortable and you can see that in her stance sometimes but she runs around when I toss the bird seed/mealies for the flock and is otherwise okay.
I can smear her every morning and evening. I just don't like the thickened tissue. How does one deal with that when bacteria laden crap is moving over it dozens of times a day?

I just don't like the thickened tissue. How does one deal with that when bacteria laden crap is moving over it dozens of times a day?
Not sure you can do much more.
Not even sure just what that crusty stuff is...
...still think it's scabbing and that will take time to clear up.
Can you see any 'healthy' tissue around the edge of the crust?
If it was necrotic it would be black, wouldn't it?

Not sure you can do much more.
Not even sure just what that crusty stuff is...
...still think it's scabbing and that will take time to clear up.
Can you see any 'healthy' tissue around the edge of the crust?
If it was necrotic it would be black, wouldn't it?
Yes. It looks black around the edges.

How does one deal with that when bacteria laden crap is moving over it dozens of times a day?

I would keep her separated from the flock as otherwise the rooster might just be spreading whatever bacteria might have caused this by mating.

How old is she?

And how does or did it smell, like old urates or rotten?

Good morning Cafe and thanks for the coffee, LF.
I'll take the applesauce and you can keep the oatmeal!

I plan to soak Seneca for a good long time this morning and work on the crust again.

Bella cut her rear foot on the side of the main foot pad. She was rough housing in the woods with one of her buddies and she must have stepped on a branch or something under the snow. She was holding it up when we got back to the house.

A little chunk was missing so I cleaned and disinfected it and wrapped it up to keep her from stamping blood all over the floor.
I now have learned that Bella is a bandage eater.
Bella has learned that Chew Guard tastes really nasty.
I hope the vet work goes well today!

Back
Top Bottom