BYC Café

And a good morning, Cafe. Thanks for the coffee, DL.

Up early to send my husband off to the Mayo Clinic. One afternoon appointment and he has to be gone for three days because of the flights in and out of Montana. :rolleyes: Ridiculous. I've never heard anything bad about them, so hopefully he has a good experience and an appointment to get patched up when he leaves.

Marans egg was pipped when I left, so I may have another by the time I get home tonight. Spent part of the morning trying to clean the sticky, dried membrane off the little chick I helped. It was not a happy camper. Poor little thing. Has tons of energy to try and escape! That's got to be good :)

@LaFleche I think I misspoke on the yellow chick. That was the one attached to the egg by the umbilical cord, not the one I helped out. I had to snip her loose when I got home. She's doing well!

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

I set 19. At least 7 infertile, possibly two more. 6 live chicks and one just pipped this morning. I don't know if you do percentages by total fertile x what hatched? That would make sense, otherwise my rate is shite :hmm I will check the others and see if they quit or were infertile when it's over.
View attachment 2544431
View attachment 2544432
View attachment 2544433
View attachment 2544434
It is best to go with a total hatch rate. There is a reason for clear eggs, those that do not develop. They may have been fertile but did not develop so it is good to figure out why.

If you have a chick that was niacin deficient, the parent flock needs better nutrition and that will help with hatch rate.

It could be that they need to be wormed too.

It is best to go with a total hatch rate. There is a reason for clear eggs, those that do not develop. They may have been fertile but did not develop so it is good to figure out why.

If you have a chick that was niacin deficient, the parent flock needs better nutrition and that will help with hatch rate.

It could be that they need to be wormed too.
So the ones that I think were infertile could be fertile, but show no signs of development?

ETA: I can check fertility on similar eggs and see.

Hmm...never thought about that. Do you agree that time of year is going to affect fertility rate, though? Will I still be able to tell if they egg was fertile after it's been in the incubator, as far as finding the bullseye?
Definitely!

Another reason to count the clear eggs is to see if you need to adjust the flock to increase the effectiveness of breeding.

I had to work with a local breeder that I was hatching for due to the high number of non fertile eggs.

Definitely!

Another reason to count the clear eggs is to see if you need to adjust the flock to increase the effectiveness of breeding.

I had to work with a local breeder that I was hatching for due to the high number of non fertile eggs.
Oh, good! I still have all of the ones I removed so I can check them out. I've only got 3 roosters over about 90 hens. They may be a little over worked ;)

Thank you for the information, Ron. Always learning something!

Back
Top Bottom