BYC Café

I'm trying something new today. I hope someone here has some insight. (I posted a thread, but would like some more opinions, if possible.)

I have a rooster, so I feed 20% protein all flock, egg shells and OS on the side. My girls don't seem to eat OS at all. They happily munch the egg shells. Last week, I bought a different brand of OS, to see if they like it. It seems that they don't.

Their egg shells seem thin. I have found two with holes that I'm pretty sure are from a hen poking an egg back underneath her. She broke the shell, but not the membrane, so no eating or damage.

The yolks break about half the time when I crack them. That's a problem for hubby's over easy eggs.

Someone suggested I take out the egg shells on the side, and just leave the OS. I'm trying that today. Their main treat is their food wetted into mash. about 3x a week, they get greens/weeds/melon guts with seeds.

Any suggestions?
Do they have plenty of granite grit to make use of the oyster shell?

Got the hoop coop all taken apart, trailer is ready to go.
Got a simple bill of sale made up.
Trying to get a replacement title at the DMV is proving to be near impossible.
What a PITA(and all my fault!) :mad:
How annoying. No notion of where you might have filed it?
The car folder or maybe the one for instruction manuals?

I'll get him

Isn't it funny that they always know when something is up.
Can't use a net inside the brooder and run. He shot out the door to the run when I went into the coop. The set up was not designed for easy catching of the occupants until past dusk. The new owner needed him prior to that.

He's in a crate now sitting on top of the brooder. I was going to leave the crate in the coop with the flock but Una was chomping at the bit to get at him to whoop his ass. I thought it best he stay in the brooder room.

Trying to get a replacement title at the DMV is proving to be near impossible.
What a PITA
I've been half heartedly searching for the title to DHs truck. Nan wants to buy it. I found the title to the Colorado we sold when we bought the Frontier. I remember ordering a new title for the Colorado. Ah, the life of living in a construction site with no place to put things. I have the desk half organized but I really need to go through the boxes in the basement and get everything sorted out.

Mix the egg shell in with the OS.
Might try sprinkling some OS on the ground, maybe with some scratch.
Might try sprinkling a dozen pieces of OS on top of the feed trough.
These are all things I did the one time I had laying pullets separated from the flock.

Do they have plenty of granite grit to make use of the oyster shell?
Thanks for the input. I have had the eggshell mixed with OS from the beginning. The egg shell will be noticeably gone (it's brown), but it doesn't look like the OS has been touched.

I've put some OS in with their feed... some of it disappeared the first time, but not lately. I'm going to put some on top of their mash treat for a few days, see how that goes.

They don't seem to eat any granite grit at all either! I haven't added any in a loooong time. They do eat plenty of dirt, it seems; they peck and pick and scratch.

I'm going to sprinkle some OS on the ground, and see what they do.

Thanks again for the comments.

I'm trying something new today. I hope someone here has some insight. (I posted a thread, but would like some more opinions, if possible.)

I have a rooster, so I feed 20% protein all flock, egg shells and OS on the side. My girls don't seem to eat OS at all. They happily munch the egg shells. Last week, I bought a different brand of OS, to see if they like it. It seems that they don't.

Their egg shells seem thin. I have found two with holes that I'm pretty sure are from a hen poking an egg back underneath her. She broke the shell, but not the membrane, so no eating or damage.

The yolks break about half the time when I crack them. That's a problem for hubby's over easy eggs.

Someone suggested I take out the egg shells on the side, and just leave the OS. I'm trying that today. Their main treat is their food wetted into mash. about 3x a week, they get greens/weeds/melon guts with seeds.

Any suggestions?
I've had this problem when some pullets come into POL.

I also mix the egg shell with the OS as they LOVE the egg shells.

I will also take a handful of OS and mix it with plain Greek yogurt and leave dollops of that all over the place. It's a treat to them. I call it a calcium infusion. It gets them thinking that the OS is good to eat even without the Greek yogurt coating it. I'll do this every 2 or 3 days until I've got consistently good shells. Repeat as needed.

I will also take a handful of OS and mix it with plain Greek yogurt and leave dollops of that all over the place. It's a treat to them. I call it a calcium infusion. It gets them thinking that the OS is good to eat even without the Greek yogurt coating it. I'll do this every 2 or 3 days until I've got consistently good shells. Repeat as needed.
I just started a batch of Greek yogurt today! Thank you so much!

Good morning - fresh coffee is ready. Miss Maggie Mae got her first grooming yesterday. Both she and the groomer survived. As I left I told the groomer, "Don't put up with her antics. She knows what is not allowed." Groomer said, "Oh, she's just a puppy." Puppy hell - she's a willful teen aged girl! I sort of miss my shaggy dog, but she looks really good and it's much easier to check for ticks.

How annoying. No notion of where you might have filed it?
The car folder or maybe the one for instruction manuals?
To tell the truth, now I'm not certain I applied for the title after all.
.....or at least that's what I'm telling myself (no wonder I can't find it!)
...and that's why the online 'duplicate title' is not working.
On hold now with SOS to find out WTF the deal is.
Still kicking myself, would have money in the pocket and trailer gone 3 days ago if I had filed it in a findable place :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really need to go through the boxes in the basement and get everything sorted out.
Ha! I used to be pretty good at filing stuff......started to lose it about 9 years ago, piles and boxes everywhere, some boxes are half sorted. SMH.

Back
Top Bottom