BYC Café

One thing about having your own well.... The water bill is part of the electric bill. One other thing: when the power is off, so is the water.

Unless you have an artesian well like we did in our house up north. If the power was off, we had water. We even had hot water in the winter because my very clever step-dad rigged up a thermo-siphon system through the wood stove.

One thing about having your own well.... The water bill is part of the electric bill. One other thing: when the power is off, so is the water.

Unless you have an artesian well like we did in our house up north. If the power was off, we had water. We even had hot water in the winter because my very clever step-dad rigged up a thermo-siphon system through the wood stove.
We are not allowed to have our own well in the City!

The Highschool tried and the City made them disconnect it from the drinking water supply. They can use the well water to irrigate though.

I took the tarps off the run a couple days ago. It's under cover of trees and has shady spots all day, so that's nice. But what a difference! I remember thinking when I put the tarps on in the fall that it was dark and gloomy under there. Now it's bright and cheerful. Definitely going to put a clear roof of some kind on it this fall.

I'm wondering if that gloominess is part of why my pullets didn't lay last winter.

We'll be moving the coop and run to its summer home in a couple weeks. Unless I convince DH to leave it up here by the house year round. I'm actually thinking that might be the better spot. Yes, it's cooler down by the garden; you can feel the temp drop as you walk down the hill. But it's shadier and breezier by the house. I can create the shade with the tarps, but I can't make the breeze. The air is much stiller in that little valley.

I took the tarps off the run a couple days ago. It's under cover of trees and has shady spots all day, so that's nice. But what a difference! I remember thinking when I put the tarps on in the fall that it was dark and gloomy under there. Now it's bright and cheerful. Definitely going to put a clear roof of some kind on it this fall.

I'm wondering if that gloominess is part of why my pullets didn't lay last winter.

We'll be moving the coop and run to its summer home in a couple weeks. Unless I convince DH to leave it up here by the house year round. I'm actually thinking that might be the better spot. Yes, it's cooler down by the garden; you can feel the temp drop as you walk down the hill. But it's shadier and breezier by the house. I can create the shade with the tarps, but I can't make the breeze. The air is much stiller in that little valley.
I'd opt for closer to the house with shade and a breeze.

I will have solved that problem if Elon ever gets those new Powerwalls shipping. Already solved the first with enough solar panels to run everything that is electric.

Back
Top Bottom