BYC Café

Getting closer on getting out of the brooder into the playpen!
IMG_1026.JPG

I can't cut the cardboard any lower; it has to fold over the bottom part of the crate. So I made them a bridge. I should have put on jeans. Those pants are nylon and slippery for little feet. It took them about 15 minutes to get over their terror of me putting my foot in there.

You need a broody hen to raise them! You can borrow Betty, she's in the buster and has been for 4 days now. I was hoping she'd break with the mid 50° temps the last 2 nights but nope.
Tonk AND her sister, Tink, were removed kicking and screaming from the nests last night. :rant Tink landed on the coop floor still frozen in the broody trance.
I'm breaking my own rule of not locking 2 broodies together in the same crate if I find them in there again tonight...

Tonk AND her sister, Tink, were removed kicking and screaming from the nests last night. :rant Tink landed on the coop floor still frozen in the broody trance.
I'm breaking my own rule of not locking 2 broodies together in the same crate if I find them in there again tonight...
Get the crate prepared. :oops:

I just let broody out after 48 hours....she's still ticking and tried to go back to the nest pretty quick, I opened back door and she scrammed. 3 times. She's now out in run ticking, she'll be back in crate later I'm sure.

So here's Willies spur. Tried to get a shot of the stubs left but he wouldn't cooperate. Both stubs are about 1-1.5"
The longer one was on left foot.
Right spur broke off a week ago, it was only about 2", and had also done so before.
1623875011492.png

1623875103504.png

1623875158676.png

Better view of spurs, tho a bit out of focus.
1623877779724.png

Last edited:
So here's Willies spur. Tried to get a shot of the stubs left but he wouldn't cooperate. Both stubs are about 1-1.5"
The longer one was on left foot.
Right spur broke off a week ago, it was only about 2", and had also done so before.
How old is Willie? My roo is about 15 months old, and his spurs are still 1/2-5/8" and as blunt as a pencil eraser. I'm NOT complaining! But are they going to get a sudden growth spurt some day?

Back
Top Bottom