BYC Café

We escaped all the bad winter storms and now this last storm too. Just thankful is all I can be.

Ever have one of those nagging thoughts in the back of your head? I have one about my Jubilee Orpington chick. Last year I had 3 Black Australorps and 3 Buff Orpingtons. The Buffs started getting tail feathers a good week after the Australorps. Sure enough, the Orps were all cockerels, and the Aussies were all pullets. (Aussies were purchased as pullets and Orps were straight run, because I didn't know better, ie, didn't know straight run meant "we can't tell that these are girls, so they're probably boys, but demand is super high and we can sell them.")

These are all supposed to be pullets, but the Aussies' tails are there and the Orp's is barely starting. :fl:fl:fl Since I just got three chicks, I really want them all to be pullets.

I know, I can't feather sex these. Can't compare two different breeds. But tell that to the nagging thought in the back of my head. :hmm

ie, didn't know straight run meant "we can't tell that these are girls, so they're probably boys, but demand is super high and we can sell them."
Or it means "we aren't going to check" or it means "selected from unsexed 'whatever is left'". I too wonder if they maybe lean a bit heavy on the cockerels with "straight run".

Statistically, I had a 1 in 8 chance of 3 out of 3 cockerels. That's what I got.

If this chick is male, he will audition for my rooster's job. I don't have enough females for two boys, won't expect them to get along, don't have the room for a bachelor pen.

I would like to replace/add chicks as needed from my own birds; that's at least a year away. You all have heard me complain about the roo I have. He's ... ok. He's not nice enough to palm off on my neighbor who just got chicks this spring. He's not that bright, he's sometimes pushing the limits with me; less so since I got Big Stick to accompany me into the run.

Just hoping I have 3 pullets....

We escaped all the bad winter storms and now this last storm too. Just thankful is all I can be.

Ever have one of those nagging thoughts in the back of your head? I have one about my Jubilee Orpington chick. Last year I had 3 Black Australorps and 3 Buff Orpingtons. The Buffs started getting tail feathers a good week after the Australorps. Sure enough, the Orps were all cockerels, and the Aussies were all pullets. (Aussies were purchased as pullets and Orps were straight run, because I didn't know better, ie, didn't know straight run meant "we can't tell that these are girls, so they're probably boys, but demand is super high and we can sell them.")

These are all supposed to be pullets, but the Aussies' tails are there and the Orp's is barely starting. :fl:fl:fl Since I just got three chicks, I really want them all to be pullets.

I know, I can't feather sex these. Can't compare two different breeds. But tell that to the nagging thought in the back of my head. :hmm
How old are they?

I think the Orp will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. The Aussies will be 3 weeks on Friday.

While I was having chick play time, I noticed the Orp's legs look thicker than the Aussies'... :hmm

I don't have up-to-date pictures. Maybe tomorrow I can get that done.
try to get pictures that show the wattles and comb.

Orpingtons are bigger.

It is best to compare differences within a breed

Back
Top Bottom