BYC Café

Pretty little bird.

My chickens almost killed a dove once, not pretty.
Mine kill mice, baby rats, frogs, toads, lizards, sparrows or other fledgelings of sparrow size. They even hunt for moles standing like a pointer with neck stretched and one leg raised watching a molehill and waiting for their moment to strike.

How old are they?
I'm surprised at Astrid's latest batch. I haven't had to pluck a single one from the nest boxes. They are a united force and stay on the boards or roosts.
16 weeks today. They do stick together somewhat away from the older girls except when I'm tossing feed or treats around.

They definitely want to roost in "their designated area" though Elizabeth (Golden Laced Wyandotte) will sit elsewhere while the other 5 are roosting on the people door or the alpaca shearing stand ... until I come out and move them all to safety for the night and close the people door. They have never tried to sleep in the nest boxes, too low ;)

Cafe good morning one and all!

I have six older chickens and sixteen pullets that are twenty-two weeks old and I have not been able to integrate them.

They chase the pullets and peck at them.

I was working in the coop and put them together.

I finally had to separate them because the pullets were being kept in a corner by the older hens.

Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom