BYC Café

Good morning and welcome to the Cafe, Hermits Garden! I am up too early but I guess that means more coffee brewing. Yes, I really do appreciate being able to hang out with all of the different wildlife up here and I don't mind the weather extremes so I guess it is all good, except for the bears, not a fan of those stinkers! LOL! Division of Wildlife caught a "really big bear" up on my friend's property and it should have been a state record black bear (by a couple of hundred pounds), but they have not said anything about it...;), so that means it was a grizzly and they don't feel like sharing that info to the sensitively eared public quite yet. It was just a matter of time with all of the moose these days, that their main predators would be following close behind.
Anyway, I guess it is getting close to chore time. Enjoy the day!
We have elk here, but no moose. Is that new to Colorado? Hubs was stationed there back in the late 80's and said there were none, but elk are (fairly) new to this part of the White Mountains of Arizona too--at least over the last few decades. Now they're everywhere.

I watched a mom and spring baby swim across the lake this evening. Time for some hot tea!
Did you offer them some crumpets to go with their tea? ;)

Only our second winter up here, so I can't say if that's normal, but it's doable, at any rate.
You are WAY up there. Had to look up th elevation. About 6,000' higher than here.

Did you offer them some crumpets to go with their tea? ;)

You are WAY up there. Had to look up th elevation. About 6,000' higher than here.
It's around 6500 down in Show Low, but we're up on Porter Mtn, and the hub's altimeter app shows our place at 7100 or thereabouts. It was weird how much it affected me, even after 5 yrs at 5000 ft. I was suckin' wind for three weeks every time I walked the dog! Finally got used to it, now my blood pressure plummets when we go to Phx to visit family.

Last edited:
The moose for me and the elk for you are probably on a similar expansion time. I have yet to see a live elk when I am going to my son's place near Phoenix...they are all DRTs...
LOL!
Yeah, I don't think they have any down there in the valley. But they are even more plentiful than deer, east-central in the mountains. I've heard it began with more cattle ranching--stock tanks, etc. make a good place for grazers like Elk.

It's around 6500 down in Show Low, but we're up on Porter Mtn, and the hubs altimeter app shows our place at 7100 or thereabouts. It was weird how much it affected me, even after 5 yrs at 5000 ft. I was suckin wind for three weeks every time I walked the dog! Finally got used to it, now my blood pressure plummets when we go to Phx to visit family.

I've only been that high or higher once, back in college. Went backpacking with my aunt and some of her Sierra Club friends. Started the day at 10K, went over 12K then back to 10K. Definite altitude sickness that night. OK after that since we didn't get higher again.

Back
Top Bottom