BYC Café

Nope. If run had a roof, I would.
There is one place I put a wind shield, an old slider window panel on the north side of the 'under-run'.
I'm always reassured by your run, aart. Everybody tells me I should have a covered run, but there's so much shade here, and we're in the high desert rain-wise. I figure they'd like to have what little sun they will get, and I intent to use a snow shovel and straw for "paths" in the winter. They'll have a couple covered spots out in the run with roofs over them, but mostly, just a wire cover.

I'm always reassured by your run, aart. Everybody tells me I should have a covered run, but there's so much shade here, and we're in the high desert rain-wise. I figure they'd like to have what little sun they will get, and I intent to use a snow shovel and straw for "paths" in the winter. They'll have a couple covered spots out in the run with roofs over them, but mostly, just a wire cover.
How much snow do you get?
My setup is not ideal, I wish my run was roofed.

I shovel paths, for access for me to do snow load removal and to give them some room to roam. They have a small sheltered area about 5x8, the under-run, to dust bathe.
But have a pretty large coop, 6sqft per bird on floor...plus the roost boards...for those days when it's too nasty to go outside.

There is no way I would have built a run without a solid roof on it in my area.
This is from last winter. Granted, this was a record breaking amount of snow but we get a decent amount of snow every winter.
Winter bury 1.jpg
winter bury 2.jpg

It was bad enough just shoveling my way to the coop. I can't imagine having to shovel out the run too.
And they use it year round. This is the winter run:
Dust bathing in run.png

Back
Top Bottom