BYC Café

Yeah if it is being a wimp now it will surely leave you wielding a shovel come cold weather and snow.
Well, I could always jump it off the van, BTDT, but I'd rather not...
...so yeah, time for a new battery.
At least that's what I hope is the problem, it's been a long time.

Last edited:
Hello, Cafe' - afternoon pot is brewed. Long day at a field trial today. Two 4th places with the young dogs - pleasant surprise.
Big time congratulations
Penny, I've grown Egyptian Walking Onions (EWOs). You have the little bulbs, right? Plant those about 1- 2" deep, about a foot apart. Cover with mulch. You can plant them in the ground now.

I started 3 years ago with maybe 20 of those little bulbs. My EWO bed is about 25 x 3, and totally filled in. Here's a picture I posted in the garden thread.

View attachment 2872938

I dug one clump and got these:
View attachment 2872941
They aren't big, but there are a LOT of them. The greens are nice as green onions too.
So do I separate them ?

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

A co-worker and his girlfriend came over yesterday to give me some old carpet they have as I mentioned I needed it for protecting the Trex deck during the roof tear off.

Bella has a new nickname: Bella the Ball Bouncer. She got him about 3 times. I had told him the electrician story so it isn't like he didn't know in advance. I recommended that he wear a cup. His girlfriend was nearly in tears laughing because Bella has this very sweet innocent face when she looked up at him after doing it. She has discovered it is a fine way to get attention from men!

So do I separate them ?

@pennyJo1960, yes, separate the little bulbs from each other. Then plant them 1-2" deep, and cover the bed with mulch. They'll poke up through the mulch in the spring, and if it's past frost, gently pull the mulch away.

You can cut the greens, sparingly; they feed the roots. The first year, they may not put up any topsets. Those are the little onions you have; they grow on a stalk. A few of mine did the first year, and I just replanted them the next fall.

They get their name of walking onion because that topset will get heavy enough to fall over, and they can root another plant. Yes, on top of the soil, but plant yours in the soil to protect them from frost.

You can eat the topsets, like a pearl onion. You can dig the onions out of the ground, but then that plant won't grow back the next year.

The clumps grow and get bigger each year. The second year, I was digging half a clump up to use the onions. Here's a picture of the onions with a quarter for scale.
IMG_1729.JPG

So, not very big. I dug these just a week ago, and they had put up a stalk with the little topsets. I think I've dug them before they do that and gotten bigger onions.

@pennyJo1960, yes, separate the little bulbs from each other. Then plant them 1-2" deep, and cover the bed with mulch. They'll poke up through the mulch in the spring, and if it's past frost, gently pull the mulch away.

You can cut the greens, sparingly; they feed the roots. The first year, they may not put up any topsets. Those are the little onions you have; they grow on a stalk. A few of mine did the first year, and I just replanted them the next fall.

They get their name of walking onion because that topset will get heavy enough to fall over, and they can root another plant. Yes, on top of the soil, but plant yours in the soil to protect them from frost.

You can eat the topsets, like a pearl onion. You can dig the onions out of the ground, but then that plant won't grow back the next year.

The clumps grow and get bigger each year. The second year, I was digging half a clump up to use the onions. Here's a picture of the onions with a quarter for scale.
View attachment 2873417
So, not very big. I dug these just a week ago, and they had put up a stalk with the little topsets. I think I've dug them before they do that and gotten bigger onions.
They are small, but mighty and flavorful. :)

Is it safe for chickens to eat onion tops/greens?

Back
Top Bottom