BYC Café

Good morning afternoon Cafe. I've brewed a fresh pot.
Stayed late at sister's for her late Thanksgiving meal. Enjoyed a great movie, The Help.
I locked up the birds before we left as dinner was at 4. Most of the birds were already roosted so I tossed a handful of mealworms on the coop floor and left.

This morning, went out late (8:30) to do chores and noticed lots of crow foot prints all over the newly fallen snow.
Went to open the run door and Ace ran up to greet me. :eek: His sisters were behind the run. OMG! I forgot to do headcount before lock up and I locked Ace and his three sisters out in the snow and 25F weather. What maroon I am. They were completely unscathed by the incident. Thank goodness there were no owls in the neighborhood last night. I hear them frequently.

Good morning afternoon Cafe. I've brewed a fresh pot.
Stayed late at sister's for her late Thanksgiving meal. Enjoyed a great movie, The Help.
I locked up the birds before we left as dinner was at 4. Most of the birds were already roosted so I tossed a handful of mealworms on the coop floor and left.

This morning, went out late (8:30) to do chores and noticed lots of crow foot prints all over the newly fallen snow.
Went to open the run door and Ace ran up to greet me. :eek: His sisters were behind the run. OMG! I forgot to do headcount before lock up and I locked Ace and his three sisters out in the snow and 25F weather. What maroon I am. They were completely unscathed by the incident. Thank goodness there were no owls in the neighborhood last night. I hear them frequently.

Glad all your birds are ok Tonya, that must have given you a start to figure out where they spent the night.

The Help is a great movie, I've caught it on tv a couple of times and enjoyed it!

Thank goodness there were no owls in the neighborhood last night. I hear them frequently.
Whew! Glad everyone's ok.
I haven't been doing a head count when I lock up next door. :oops: There are 35, in a small (8x10...? I think) space, and they move around a LOT. None have gotten out of the run, so I'm assuming there are still 35.

I'm sure they will be very glad when their people get home so they can go out into the extended run.

Sorry, birdies... I just don't have the time to chase you down when you get out.

They won't go to roost on their own?
Oh, yes, they go to roost. Thank goodness!

In the morning, I let them out in the small, covered area of the run with 5' fence surrounding it. They have another part that is probably 4x the size, but it's just surrounded with 3' tall snow fence. They get out of that regularly, and can't figure out how to get back in.

They will wander over a pretty good area if they get the chance. If one gets out, a LOT of them follow.

I noticed some small bare spots on the backs of some of them. They aren't molting, this looks like pecking. So I'm going to use this as a way to talk to the neighbor about the over crowding.

They won't go to roost on their own?
Mine do, they don't all go into the coop to do it though!!! I often have to move Gretel off the ladder in the feed room and Celene off the alpaca stand. Thus I can't just close up the barn and trusting they will all be inside the coop when the auto door closes. Have to go out every night for a bed check.

Back
Top Bottom