BYC Café

@aart, you're going to get the snow.
Yeah, we'll see, could be 6+" or less than and inch.....never know what the lake will conjour.

Will probably spend some time this morning trying to get some snow off the patio,
didn't clean anything off it but the narrow path.

Yesterday was a good day for Dale, but this morning was a different story. He was lethargic and refused breakfast. I called the vet, and he said he would meet me at the clinic (it's closed on Wednesday). He anesthetized the dog, put air in his bladder and took an X ray. Nothing more than was seen on Monday's X Rays. He then put something into the bladder, massaged to spread it around and took another X Ray. Dale's prostate lit up like a Christmas tree. Presumptive diagnosis prostate cancer with possible metastases to the lungs. I asked what he would do if it was his dog. He said, "I can't answer that." Yeah, he could. We talked about treatment with an anti inflammatory that had a chemo therapeutic side affect . I asked if I would be out of line if I asked to have him euthanized. Jim replied without hesitation, "No."

He wasn't a 'pet' in the truest sense of the word, but I really liked him. He was an absolute non PITA. We built a lot of memories. Even after all these years, all these dogs it still hurts. It's the hardest decision we have to make for our animals. I'll miss him, but his legacy will live on through his sons and daughters.

Another measure of my veterinarian friend. He came in on his day off - drove an hour to treat my dog. Not just because he's my friend, but because that's the person he is. Dale will be cremated, and his ashes will be spread at the beagle club.

Yesterday was a good day for Dale, but this morning was a different story. He was lethargic and refused breakfast. I called the vet, and he said he would meet me at the clinic (it's closed on Wednesday). He anesthetized the dog, put air in his bladder and took an X ray. Nothing more than was seen on Monday's X Rays. He then put something into the bladder, massaged to spread it around and took another X Ray. Dale's prostate lit up like a Christmas tree. Presumptive diagnosis prostate cancer with possible metastases to the lungs. I asked what he would do if it was his dog. He said, "I can't answer that." Yeah, he could. We talked about treatment with an anti inflammatory that had a chemo therapeutic side affect . I asked if I would be out of line if I asked to have him euthanized. Jim replied without hesitation, "No."

He wasn't a 'pet' in the truest sense of the word, but I really liked him. He was an absolute non PITA. We built a lot of memories. Even after all these years, all these dogs it still hurts. It's the hardest decision we have to make for our animals. I'll miss him, but his legacy will live on through his sons and daughters.

Another measure of my veterinarian friend. He came in on his day off - drove an hour to treat my dog. Not just because he's my friend, but because that's the person he is. Dale will be cremated, and his ashes will be spread at the beagle club.
I am sorry you lost Him!

I'm so sorry you lost him but it sure sounds like he didn't suffer much, if at all, and you prevented any more by being able to let him go. :hugs

Last edited:

Sorry about Dale Sour, glad you have good memories of him. And what a gem of a vet/friend you have.

Back
Top Bottom