BYC Café

My latest pair was $$$
How much did the total come to and did you also have an exam?
I got all the bells and whistles on the lenses.
What were the add-ons?

I ended up paying $279 and it included the exam, Optimap scan, the frames, poly lenses with Crizal anti-glare coating, a blue light filter and scratch protection. I thought that was pretty good for the price.

I have some dry eye issues, mostly with my right eye. Last summer, both DH and I went to an actual ophthalmologist (instead of one of the chain places in the mall). I wanted to be sure that everything is ok, and I wanted someone who really knew what he was doing doing the checking.

He recommended the OTC drops, but if that didn't help or wasn't enough, we could go to a prescription. So far... it's "good enough."

Has anyone ever found sinus issues to be the cause of eye issues? My right sinus definitely feels "fuller" than my left one.

I then went out to see what Dr. Google had to say. I stumbled upon a YouTube series created by an optometrist that discussed the difference between the two drugs along with other videos on dry eye treatments and one of his recommendations for mixed cause dry eye drops was Refresh Optive Mega-3 with added flaxseed oil. The Amazon rating is 4.8. I've never seen such a high rating so I ordered some.
I'd be very interested in hearing if this helps! :fl:fl Hope it does...

I ended up paying $279 and it included the exam, Optimap scan, the frames, poly lenses with Crizal anti-glare coating, a blue light filter and scratch protection. I thought that was pretty good for the price.
:lau:lau:lau

Well.... this wasn't Pearle vision, so it wasn't cheap. The frames were $520. The lenses another $500.

The lenses were progressives, the "wide angle" whatever they call it, so that it covers more of the lens (that's a big upgrade), non-glare, anti-scratch.

The exam was $260ish...? Pupils dilated, retinal mapping, and checking the optic nerve for something... glaucoma... I think? And the prescription was part of it too. We took the scrip to the glasses place to have them made.

When I had my exam, the technician shook her head a couple of times and said, yeah, you got what you paid for at the mall. I have to say, these lenses are WAY BETTER.

I keep my frames for a long, long time, and just get new lenses as I need to update the prescription. I figure I'm worth it (cue the Loreal commercial).

We've always gone to "the place in the mall," and se both figured we should spend the money and make sure everything is ok.

Good afternoon Cafe! Miserable outside here. Which of you is hogging the sun and spring weather? 🤣

I have spent the afternoon so far getting a lecture ready for a class I am teaching on Tuesday. Now to edit the honours student's discussion draft - so many things to do!
Sunny and 75° here, but it feels hot working in the sun. Cleaning up around the garage.

I use a local family owned place. My insurance covered about 75-80% of the cost.
We don't buy dental or vision coverage. The dentist twice a year for DH and me is less than the premiums. We are (very) blessed with good teeth.

Ditto with the vision coverage. Eye exam every few years, new glasses/lenses as needed.

That's why we started our HSAs... for expenses like this. And the tax savings too.

Shadow and Ben are together again.
Ben and Shadow.jpg
IMG_3232.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG

He died in his mom's arms at home after a walk on the Rail Trail. It was fast.

Back
Top Bottom