BYC Café

Sweet! I was hoping you'd post pics.
Glad you had a nice and fruitful trip.
I wish I hadn't pulled the filter pipe off the settlement tank outlet. The pond is only 7 weeks old and I'm going through algae blooms until the biofilm gets established and the plants start to really grow.
I put it back on and by tomorrow the water clarity should be much improved.

Our heat wave broke today and it's really nice out.

Suspended or string?
Adding a bunch of fish poop won't help with that(sorry).
Balancing a pond is a never ending, or at least a very slow, endeavor.
Both.
I'm not going to feed them for a while. They can eat the string algae.
The temps going up into the low 90s for 2 days caused the bloom.
All I can do is monitor the water and do partial changes as needed.
I tested the water right before I put the fish in and the ammonia was between 0.5 and 1.0 when it's been at zero for a while. I have a good bio filter so I'll be curious to see what the reading is tomorrow.
I'll put no more fish into the pond. They will spawn and I will keep what fry I like and sell the rest off to keep the bio load under control.
I read somewhere it can take a year or more for a pond to fully mature. Again, the way I designed it should make it stay pretty stable. But it's a dynamic system no matter how you look at it. Temperature, feeding, plant growth, spawning, other critters coming to the pond all change water parameters. My bottom drain to remove most of the fish waste and the aerated bio filter should be able to handle the flux.

Good morning Cafe! Thanks for the coffee DL!

By the end of today 3 of the 6 gardens will be fully planted! Just got in from tilling two beds and planting one of them (shelling peas, lentils, kale, chard, beets, celery, nasturtiums). One of the other beds is half full of red potatoes (early season) that are coming up nicely and we’ll be putting carrots and some leafy greens in there. A couple of random things too probably. The third garden is all garlic and that is up.

After this there’s three more to go! Those will be mostly green/yellow beans, peas, squash, and cucumbers.

Here’s some tulips that the rain broke off.

IMG_9475.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom