BYC Chat - Saying Goodbye to an old friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being new to BYC I went there once. But I always go to recent posts. This site is very awesome and very much appreciated. You all have done a wonderful job. Thank you

Completly understood. I loved chat, and made a bunch of friends using it, but I def. agree that the reasons you listed are too important to let it stay up.
Fare thee well, BYC chat.
frow.gif

Wonder how much you can take away from the site until it affects membership numbers and advertising dollars?

I never used chat, but being a member of other online forums, I must agree with your decision. Too often people post things that are offensive and crude, and being that this site is "Back Yard Chickens", not "back yard over the fence personal info central", I think you are well within your rights to remove something not chicken or bird related. There are too many free chat rooms available elsewhere for anyone to get bent out of shape that they can't come on a chicken forum to gossip about non-chicken related life issues.

Kudos for taking a stand!

BigDaddy'sGurl :

I never used chat, but being a member of other online forums, I must agree with your decision. Too often people post things that are offensive and crude, and being that this site is "Back Yard Chickens", not "back yard over the fence personal info central", I think you are well within your rights to remove something not chicken or bird related. There are too many free chat rooms available elsewhere for anyone to get bent out of shape that they can't come on a chicken forum to gossip about non-chicken related life issues.

Kudos for taking a stand!

thumbsup.gif
Agreed.​

I will say that the immediate feedback for a situation was nice to have. I will miss the chat for a bunch of reasons. For those that were not regulars, it is hard for you to understand the sense of community that evolved through that forum. I understand the decision, and thankfully have options.. but it is a feature that will be missed by many

Shelly

Thanks for the update, and the explanation. I enjoyed the chat feature, although I seldom used it. Your decision to "deep six" the chat feature and reasons for doing so are perfectly understandable. Thank you for being forthright and concise in your explanation regarding the decision! You and the mods are GREATLY ADMIRED AND APPRECIATED!!!
thumbsup.gif
love.gif
We appreciate all your hard work, dedication, and commitment to keeping BYC such a great place to spend time. Thanks again!

Quote:
I assure you, chat was only the most minor part of BYC. The percentage of members that used it was extremely miniscule when viewed against the overall membership numbers. It was also a place where some very unsavory happenings occurred that were harder to police and a royal headache to the staff. Advertisers don't give a flying fig if there is a chat feature on BYC, I'm sure.

I went on the Chat a few times when I first joined this site, usually when I had insomnia. Found it repetitive and boring; I've never seen the abbreviation LOL used so many times for things that didn't seem funny. Won't miss it at all; have had much better responses using the regular threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom