BYC Chat - Saying Goodbye to an old friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I assure you, chat was only the most minor part of BYC. The percentage of members that used it was extremely miniscule when viewed against the overall membership numbers. It was also a place where some very unsavory happenings occurred that were harder to police and a royal headache to the staff. Advertisers don't give a flying fig if there is a chat feature on BYC, I'm sure.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I assure you, chat was only the most minor part of BYC. The percentage of members that used it was extremely miniscule when viewed against the overall membership numbers. It was also a place where some very unsavory happenings occurred that were harder to police and a royal headache to the staff. Advertisers don't give a flying fig if there is a chat feature on BYC, I'm sure.

Alot of the members included in that minuscule amount have largely contributed to this site in other areas. Some know chickens as well as other stock very well. Many are depended on pretty regular by non chatting members. I don't think being minuscule makes them any less valuable to the site.

I can completely appreciate and respect the first three reasons for taking down the chat, though I would have wished for additional moderators perhaps from those of us who were very active and used the chat on a daily or near-daily basis. Server allocation is always an issue with running a site, perhaps instead we could have been told this was an issue so we had the opportunity to buy memberships to mitigate those resources, though.

For those of us who formed a very tight-knit community on the chat, I'm rather hurt by the criticisms about our discussions. We tried very hard to keep the chat on topic, something that was very hard to do with so many minors who wanted to discuss dating, music and their homework. We discussed recipes, including those using poultry - we figured that was close enough, perhaps not. But we always made room for anyone who had a chicken topic to discuss and we adored sharing pictures and experiences with each other. I'm as guilty as anyone for off topic conversations, I've connected with so many wonderful military wives (Mrsfoote, for example) with whom I can share the struggles and isolation of having one's spouse deployed and the challenges of running the farm single-handedly during that time.

#6 I find the most troubling. I'm on the forums on a regular basis and I can tell you, we have massive repeat of questions - for example, "why aren't my hens laying?" I have always responded politely and with information, as have most of the posters. This too happened on chat. It may be a repeat question, but its new to the questioner (even if its the 5th such post this month) and that person deserves the same respect and informed answers as the 1st poster. Many times, chatters responded with links to the forum to show the questioner the entire range of knowledge and experiences to answer their question.

All in all, I'm very upset we've lost the chat. I respect the decision of the site owners and moderators in doing so, but I wish we'd had the opportunity to review these concerns prior to losing the chat and not the week of all of us wondering where our dear chat went. Should the chat ever be reinstated here, I will definitely purchase a GFM to celebrate it.

I will miss the chat group...I didn't use it much,,,but I met some true friends that I talk with on and off the computer....The main thing I WON'T miss like Trystinn said....was the kid talk....juvenile slumber parties belong somewhere else.... once and awhile was OK...it got to be too much....I want to discuss poultry and ask questions and have people ask me as well..... I'm sure it will be missed by those who used it as a learning tool and source of endless knowledge.....I understand your reasons....
smile.png

Quote:
because it was mentioned that some of the problems -were not reported- meaning the people in the chat at the time allowed it to happen or did not report in a timely fashion.

I do remember having to report something in the chat once, a young (and most young internet users know better) was posting lots of personal information that might have put them at risk.

Most times I was in chat (I was lucky) there were chicken related Q&A but most of it already covered.

Sometimes I was able to have emergency situations resolved by cross-posting in chat, others did this too and I did my best to help them.

I completely understand the decision, although I wish there was a better solution.

Seems I caught brooster's post before it was edited.

Too bad logistically the PFM could not have chat privileges that were revocable (based on chat behavior).

There are no ads on the original chat so no ad money generated there.

Last edited:
ive never used the chat option here to be honest. but one thing i like about this site is that its family friendly i have grandsons really into chickens a little young at the moment 6 and 7 but only from a reading point of view. maybe if people had kept the chat subjects suitable for all the family to view it would not have been necessary to shut it down. there are other places on the net that are adult only. not to mention msn, yahoo and many other instant chat options independant of forums.
thank you for keeping the site appropriate for all ages the kids will be joining when they can understand and enjoy it as we do

The best thing about chat was if you had a chicken emergency it was where you went for help. But no one every needs that
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom