BYC Garden Club - veggie additions

Marty1876

Hi Everyone!
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
Port Townsend, Washington
Many of us love to raise our own produce. Some of use have big gardens, some of us having little gardens, and some of us have a tomatoe in a bucket and a volunteer melon out back. Welcome all!

There are no rules or guidelines other that respect for all other posters, and kindness to all, even when our methods are different, and we disagree.

Some of use will be organic, some semi-organic, and some depend on non-organic methods. They all have a place here.

Lets pull up a buckett, put on our work gloves and hats, and GET GARDENING YA'LL!

Don't forget, its always good to tell us how your garden and poultry compliment one another. Remember, we all have differnt types of birds, so here, no fowl reigns supreme, only the people who love them.

I garden in zone 6, in East central KS. Its cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and spring and fall give us a nod on their way past.

In the garden I have leek, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, onion, peas, and some flowers to make it preetty.

My mom and dad have an organic farm, where all food is grown free of pesticides, and poop is used on the gardens in the fall, and into the compost in the spring. We never bemoan rotted hay or straw, and I *** it to the compost. Our fowl make good turners, and are allowed into the compost freely.

What are you doing for your garden?

I love to garden,
Are garden is about 27x30 feet. not counting our big raspberry bushes that's about 15x 20 feet
I am very much looking forward to planting.beets, potato, lettuce, basil, tomato, green beans, squash, cucumbers, carrots
and whatever else I can fit!
wee.gif

I am getting the garden ready today! I raked it out, and we are going to get the soil tested. I cant wait!
With gas and everything going up, it will be so nice to have fresh home grown veggies!

I'm into gardening also! I have a few raised beds, many pots, a couple of raised beds way up waist high on legs sitting on my deck etc. I primarily like growing organic food, but do have some flowers and quite a few herbs, lemon tree, raspberry bushes etc. I am getting my hens mostly as a learning process for now - me and hubby both feel we should have a farm one of these days. I want the chickens for help with bugs in the garden, and poop for the compost pile, and of course, fresh organic eggs. I am also about to start vermicomposting - I need to check but I'm wondering if the hens would also like those worms as food. I can use the worms to compost my kitchen waste, in turn giving me great "castings" to use in the garden or make worm compost tea out of for the garden AND provide food for the chickens too. I want everything to serve multiple purposes and be as self-sustaining as possible. I love the idea of providing fresh, whole and organic food locally..........check out a documentary called "Fresh"..........it's really great (sad too) but I learned alot of basic ecology from it.

This is my first year with a garden. We recently moved in to a rental on just over an acre. The soil is not real good here, so I am thinking raised beds will be the way for us to grow. My 8 year old son just planted his hanging tomatoes last night and I have a few seeds in. Today is almost 70 and overcast. The first day of Spring has me itching to get in the dirt with my chicks!

Have you already planted your veggies in the garden? and do you start them in a green house?

I often seed broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and lettuce into the beds in winter, so that they can wake up on their own, and sprout early. I mulch heavily in the fall, to protect them, then in March I slowly remove layers, oftenn to find them sprouted allready.

My folks have huge gardens, and start hundreds of plants. I do sometimes start my own favorite tomatoes, or other things in my southern windows, I usually just get organic seedlings from my folks.

This is my first year with a garden. We recently moved in to a rental on just over an acre. The soil is not real good here, so I am thinking raised beds will be the way for us to grow. My 8 year old son just planted his hanging tomatoes last night and I have a few seeds in. Today is almost 70 and overcast. The first day of Spring has me itching to get in the dirt with my chicks!

I think raised beds are a great choice for you. Every 4 x 4 ft bed 4" deep will grow you enough salad to feed a family of four once per week all growing season! I just mix compost, peat moss, sand, and rotted manure togather for my new beds. I put 3 or 4 layers of paper down inside a wood (or rock, brick, etc) frame, then cover it with my magic mix, and plant that day. The worms will come and happily eat your newspaper and till the lower portions for you. Just feed your plants with side dressing of compost every month, and you should be great!

We got potatoes, green beans, peas in last week. And transplanted Grandpa's rhubard to my dad's garden. Oh and onions. We planted those too. Oh and Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.

I'll dig up some pics of my grandpa's old garden and his greenhouses. My grandpa was pretty well-known round here for his garden. :) He planted about 300 plants a year.

I miss him!

HI GJ!
frow.gif

I know just how you feel! My grandma used to own this house. I've always know this property. When she got really elderly, dad took over mowing. He never loved plants like her, and he mowed EVERYTHING! After 2 years, I just told him I'd move in and take care of it, mosly so he would't erase her gardens.

I'm still trying to dig up all the plants that continue to finally show a few leaves, even after 10 years!

Other than veggie gardens, I have some pears (one is a cutting from a pear that died 30 years ago, it was 100 when the cutting was taken), many custom grafted trees (ex. peach, plum, apricot, necterine), quence, paw paw, apple, custom grafted apples (5 in 1), strawberrys, raspberry, asparagus, and horseradish (I'm a tongue surfer).

I've tried several grapes, but nothing tasty yet.
I've also tried blueberrys, but they died. (I even customized thier soil, I think the low bush just cant quite make a go here)

hugs.gif

We got potatoes, green beans, peas in last week. And transplanted Grandpa's rhubard to my dad's garden. Oh and onions. We planted those too. Oh and Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.

I'll dig up some pics of my grandpa's old garden and his greenhouses. My grandpa was pretty well-known round here for his garden. :) He planted about 300 plants a year.

I miss him!

Back
Top Bottom