BYC Glossary & Index of Abbreviations - Ideas and suggestions!

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Lothiriel, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'm helping Nifty with some projects and one is an Index of Abbreviations. Lots of new peeps get confused when they see us old salts using terms like "GLW" or "BBR OEGB." So I've compiled this list. If anyone would like to give it a once-over (or a twice over, if you like), and post any feedback, additions, suggestions or ideas here, we will be most grateful! And while you're at it, take a peep at the Glossary too. [​IMG]

Also let us know if you think the two articles should be combined into one or left separate.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Lothiriel!

We get a ton of questions about the terms used in the forum. Lots of the terms are BYC / Forum specific so we initially thought it would be a good idea to have the lists separate, but let us know if you think the abbreviations and glossary should all be combined.

Also, if you have any ideas, suggestions, changes, etc. that you think should be made to either of the above items, please let us know!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think it would be best if the two articles remained separate. Also just a suggestion for the Glossary instead of common terms for chickens could it possibly changed to common terms for Poultry? I'd say 85 % of those terms can be applied to all the poultry sections but there are still some terms that could possibly added to make it more Universal for BYC.

4. f1berman

f1berman Out Of The Brooder

I really am please to find both of the lists of abbreviations and terms. They will both help. Thank you.

5. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Would you consider adding SFH - Swedish Flower Hen to the abbreviation list? Thanks!

6. backyardcelia

backyardcelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    i LOVE glossaries! and this will save me a lot of time for sure [​IMG] i didn't see it listed,(and i am sure there are lots of other related that i know not) but it took me reading dozens of posts to learn what the heck BOSS was! thanks to backyard chicken members, this a.m. our girls had their first taste of black oil sunflower seeds! our chickens thank you!

7. M Rinier

M Rinier Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    That is a fantastic list. Is there a way to print that out? I hope so. It would be helpful here at Horizon Structures/

8. Neddie

Neddie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Southwest Oklahoma
    Very helpful! I like seperate lists.

9. ChickNmamma

ChickNmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Please add FF = Fermented Feed - and possibly a link to the thread about it?

10. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Could you add something for the 'ditto quote,' most commonly I see X2 but I have seen higher counts. Thank you for considering and for all you do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by