BYC Help! WHAT HAPPENED to POSTING???

Go to tools/add ons, and do a search for the word "cookie". You'll find loads of FF plugins that give you granular control over cookies; cookie monster, cookie manager, cookie controller, etc...

Here's a direct link to the full list of add ons:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=cookie
Thank you, I will check this out. I have never used FF until this past week and the 'help' section (of FF) did not show this as an option. All they showed was in Tools, Options, Privacy, Exceptions and that is very limited and too much of a pain to use.

Sheila :)

Some of the main differences in IE and FF come from the fact that FF is open source. That leads it to be open to, and encouraging of, third party plug-ins, unlike IE, which tries to be a complete turnkey package.

That both gives FF its strength and its potential complications and confusions, since it can be more of a do-it-yourself browser. Of course, we chicken folk tend to be roll up the sleeves do-it-yourself types, so...
smile.png

Some of the main differences in IE and FF come from the fact that FF is open source. That leads it to be open to, and encouraging of, third party plug-ins, unlike IE, which tries to be a complete turnkey package.

That both gives FF its strength and its potential complications and confusions, since it can be more of a do-it-yourself browser. Of course, we chicken folk tend to be roll up the sleeves do-it-yourself types, so...
smile.png

I appreciate the advice! My whole, Internet, life has only been with IE. Therefore, I look in help and if it's not there, figure 'it is, what it is'. I knew that FF was open source but didn't realize-- fully-- what that meant (in terms of add-on's).

Thanks again!!

Sheila :)

Last edited:
strange,am thinking this cannot be an operating system issue guys,it recently started on mine and am using linux-an operating system called matriux.

using the browsers: firefox,icecat,midori,epiphany,mantra-
#the entire reply posting tool bar [with the source/normal/size/text colour etc bits on] was gone....
#it posted everything into one big lump unless used <BR> tags....
#every time submit was hit,it woud say something about no post having been entered,so eventualy worked out by going to preview after writing a post was able to submit as normal.
#it did not format any smilies or quotes-nothing so it all came out in text or code version on the post.
#pressing the arrow key on the laptop keyboard woud make the page scroll to the very bottom and ignore the arrow keys so had to manualy move it back up via the mousepad.
#all of those browsers vary in lag as well,some of them lagged seriously when browsing this forum compared to others,midori and firefox were the worst for lag.

next,got up a chromium window [chromium is what chrome is based on,its just chrome without all the google guff added to it] ,this is an older version of chromium- 6.0.472.63, cant work out how to install the latest version on matriux as it isnt in repository,and they only seem to package it for specific distros.

the site had some weird behavior until managing to find the old version of adblock plus and installed that because it had no adblock,that for some reason stopped the error it was giving-it said something about something not being supported above the replybox tool bar.

was having trouble on the other website am a user of-specialfriendsonline,it woudnt trigger the action from clicking on certain buttons,and one of their techies had said to update the firefox so had gone for the latest unstable firefox,aka firefox 'aurora' 17.0a2.
that stopped the behaviors with this site [though not with the other],but have got a feeling there is a memory leak with it at this stage because of the higher memory it was using compared to the last firefox and compared to others,plus BYC lagged with it a little.
so am using BYC in chromium [17.0a2] right now and not having any problems,...oh,wait no apart from when emoticon button is clicked the page shoots down the screen quite a bit,heres a screenshot of it- http://sadpanda.us/images/1224561-XFXGW2M.jpg

just wanted to add feedback so staff know its multi platform.

Last edited:
I installed google chrome- its working now! see-
wee.gif
:D

For awhile it wouldn't let me post- saying - please enter something into text box
idunno.gif
LOL i was like- I should post about my problem..oh wait, i cant.
tongue.png
Oh well, its fixed now.

smile.png

Internet explorer is outdated and the most widely hacked browser. You will find more and more sites will not be optimized for IE as Safari and Firefox are far superior

I've drug you each to this post 'cause I thought you'd benefit from it. But, I do tend to type/talk entirely too much -- to skip the veggies and find the meat? skim down to the numbered list.

From way back when they released '98, Microsoft has proven to be one of the dirtiest, crooked-est companies around. They gave us pre-releases, so as to work our own software into seamlessly, only to then block what others programmed and copy the concepts of each into applications of their own -- that way, their own software appeared to work fine, but everyone else's required the downloading of patches from them.

And, back to the release of DOS 6.22, they flat-out absolutely stole Stacker 4.0's compression engine, and made it an integral part of their own release.

XP was broken, and had huge security holes, even *before* it was released, and (as usual) Microsoft simply released to that way -- by the time folks could download the patches to recently restores machines, crackers would find and exploit their fresh installations.

Internet Explorer, again, has yet to release a fully compatible browser that doesn't fail in one manner of another.

"Why's he's goin' on and on about all this?"

Glad you asked ... my suggestion, to all:

1. Download and Install the Firefox browser, which *DOES* work just as is, without additional plug-ins, but there's a lot of good ones that really do make it better.
Visit http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/ and click the green button (that's easy enough ~'-)
2. Keep Internet Explorer (and the Windows environment) installed, and constantly updated, but use the Firefox browser -- Most especially when browsing unknown areas of the 'net, or handling sensitive informations: It's far more secure, and nearly impossible to exploit IE if it is not open/running (but, painfully simple, when it is ~'-)
You've found that love/hate divide, in regard to open-source vs. commercial release. I suggest the more realistic and productive use of both, as the most responsible developers will always make their websites accessible to all, but there will still be times you may wanna do things that require the licensed softwares (i.e. certain formats of video, or specific codecs, or iTunes, etc.).
3. Download/Install UBUNTU, my favorite release of the Linux Operating System, to run inside of Windows, or on that system you replace because it was "too slow" and .. betcha it's faster w/ Linux than your new system is w/ MS. And, it's even sharper than Mac's OS X.
Visit http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu for more.
4. Download/Install Open Office, which is fully compatible w/ Microsoft Office, and learn to use it as well -- no license fees, and the files produced by one will open/edit/etc. in the other w/o any problems.
Visit http://www.openoffice.org/download/ to get it, and again to add onto it.

Takin' this a bit further, for those that embraced all steps above: There is a *huge* potential for those that master the use of Linux and/or Open Office ... consulting and/or training is the most obvious direction, because business and government often pays much higher fees for licensing, and would not need to upgrade systems if somebody (like you) came in, installed the software, trained their employees, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom