BYC Help! WHAT HAPPENED to POSTING???

Ok, since this thread is going a bit off topic.... here's a great article that states what every web developer wishes... that they could skip trying to make their apps compatible with IE:

Bootstrapped Startup Saves Over $100K By Dropping IE
http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/01/bootstrapped-startup-saves-over-100k-by-dropping-ie/

That was an eye-opener, but important to know that the resulting output remained compatible w/ IE ... which really is sorta brilliant.

Did you notice 4ormat's os/browser demographic?
:: does some rough math ::
65+% of their clients have Macs, and <5% Windows w/IE.

And, since we're off-topic anyhow? I really enjoy BYC, and appreciate your efforts (sendin' you traffic, even as I type ~'-)

Last edited:
I have IE9 and it works fine now after the disc cleanup and windows updates.... so not sure what is going on with the others..... oh I turned off compatibility view as well.... so I havent a clue,..... I have chrome but rather use this IE9

I have IE9 and it works fine now after the disc cleanup and windows updates.... so not sure what is going on with the others..... oh I turned off compatibility view as well.... so I havent a clue,..... I have chrome but rather use this IE9

IE9 adds a good bit of useful things ... microsoft claims it fully supports html5, css3, and SVG images. However, googling "ie9 broken" produces 1.1 million results, so it sounds as if they've produced yet another problematic browser for us all to have to come up w/ workarounds for. But, at least there is that compatibility mode, which you (as a visitor) can choose, but that I (as a developer) can force your browser to do, by adding somethin' like this ...
... which helps make your browser at least *seem* to work the way we all need it to ... right.

Which brings me to Firefox ... have had very few issues w/ the way it works, save for when I'm bein' really picky over what it does w/ a few pixels here 'n there. As far as browsers go? It's among the most secure, when it comes to protecting your informations, and most consistent, when it comes to displaying pages as they were intended by the folks makin' the page(s) you visit.

It's not really an either/or choice here ... I (again, as a developer) use multiple versions of different browsers, and on different platforms, in the hopes of makin' things work as I want, which is as the visitor needs it to. But, for general browsing? I almost always click the firefox shortcut, whether using my computer or my phone. But, I have seen rare times that at least *try* to require the Microsoft's OS and/or IEx (iTunes comes to mind ~'-)

If you can't bring yourself to transition away from IE? Be certain to keep your system updated, and never allow IE (or any other software) to store your passwords, or your credit card numbers 'n such -- clear the cache often, and sign off/on before/after using internet-based banking, investing, etc. and you'll most probably be fine.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear some peeps are having problems.
sad.png

Those still having problems, please do the following:

1. Clear your browser cache: http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html
  2. Try a different browser and see if that makes a difference
  3. If after those two things you still have a problem, reply to this thread stating that you've done the two things above and also reply with your browser and version.

Sorry to hear some peeps are having problems.
sad.png

Those still having problems, please do the following:

1. Clear your browser cache: http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html
  2. Try a different browser and see if that makes a difference
  3. If after those two things you still have a problem, reply to this thread stating that you've done the two things above and also reply with your browser and version.

it was odd behaviors that brought me here a while back, but it was short lived ... all is cleared often, on all my systems/devices. I have been using Firefox 12.0 w/o any further difficulties, and am posting now w/ version 16.0.1, which appears to be fine as well.

:: edited, so as to update ::

IE9.0.8112.x, updated to 9.0.10, continues to crash.
Normally used just for testing. All seems to work fine 'til I allow imported font(s) to install. Continues to try to install on each page visited thereafter, and consistently crashes within a few clicks ... there was (or is) a bug in IE9 which caused this crash, by having any select element which breaks away from the imported font. Normally, your fallback fonts are then used, but IE9 wasn't applying this rule properly ... in my case, it appears that it still isn't.

I will roll back this version, and restest, and then update, and restest again ...
I have multiple browsers on the Android OS, if that'd be of any help?

Last edited:
Thanks for all that info and the offer to do more testing. Hopefully other members having the problems will be able to provide their browsers / versions so that will help us narrow down the specific use cases. What makes things even more tricky is when people have plugins / extensions that also can cause problems.

Thanks for all that info and the offer to do more testing. Hopefully other members having the problems will be able to provide their browsers / versions so that will help us narrow down the specific use cases. What makes things even more tricky is when people have plugins / extensions that also can cause problems.

You're quite welcome to any help I might be able to provide, as you've put a lot of time into makin' BYC such a good place to flock to ...

I rolled back each update like layers from an onion, testing both w/ and w/o add-ons, finding no scenario that did not prove IE9 stinks.

The issue is most probably not in your coding, but in that provided by Microsoft ... what a shock. IE7/8 require fonts to be in .eot format, but it seems IE9 still does not handle @font-face properly (I thought they 'fixed' that, but apparently not), and either it's the links which invoke javascript or those with select elements that causes the crash, most probably because IE9 fails to fall back to the default fonts (might check for 404 responses).

So, one workaround utilizes the smiley-face, but apparently any 2-bit character will do ...

... but, the following workaround [edit] (which I replace w/ another's, as the better of the two) [/edit] seems to deal w/ yet *another* issue, in that IE's parser tries to load everything between opening/closing parenthesis as a single file, but throwing in a question mark causes IE to see all thereafter as a query string ...

One more thought is that listing numerous fonts has often exposed bugs. I recall times that trailing spaces before the comma caused problems, and not enclosing font names, or even enclosing them differently ('font name' or "font name") can possible make a difference. There's always the option to *not* import fonts, which I don't personally see as detrimental to the overall well-being of your website. For certain? It'd be a good way to isolate the problem (I usually copy the required files into a new directory, and test during lower traffic periods ~'-)

It's a shame you can't just follow 4ormat's model, but I'd bet my favorite chicken that the overwhelming majority of your users are Windows/IE ...

[edit] Android 2.3.4 w/ both default browser and Firefox -- no known issues.
Both Firefox 12.0 and 16.0.1 work fine. [/edit]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom