BYC Help! WHAT HAPPENED to POSTING???

Sally Sunshine

cattywampus
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Aug 23, 2012
PA
WHERE did the action header go in the posting a reply and posting in a thread? its gone!! The area where you choose your fonts add pictures and all that????? I took a snip and I cant even add it to show you! ugggg anyone???? I rebooted and everything!!

And if I quote to reply it shows bbc codes only!! I logged out and back in still No action header cant change font, source color, size, pics videos notta I DONT get it!

OMG true new addict LOL I am going to have a panic attack not having my BYC !!!!

Last edited:
TRY Disk clean up! I have mine set to do it! I bet that is what fixed mine!

Go to All programs , accessories, system tools, and do a disc clean up

I am afraid that I tried that too and no luck
he.gif

For those that want them, here are the links to other web browsers. While they have a different 'feel' than I.E., they work just as well or better. I like a lot of the features, in Firefox, that I.E. does not have. I have only had it for a day and feel comfortable using it.

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/ (this is made by Google)

Here (http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-web-browser.htm ) is a list of the best web browsers and their features. After reading it, I am going to load Chrome and compare it to Firefox and I.E.

This issue with BYC may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise (for me) as it made me look at other browsers and not just stop at I.E.

An interesting surprise, to all of this, is that loading Firefox cleared up the original issue that I had- with BYC- that no one had an answer for.
celebrate.gif

Sheila :)

Some of the main differences in IE and FF come from the fact that FF is open source. That leads it to be open to, and encouraging of, third party plug-ins, unlike IE, which tries to be a complete turnkey package.

That both gives FF its strength and its potential complications and confusions, since it can be more of a do-it-yourself browser. Of course, we chicken folk tend to be roll up the sleeves do-it-yourself types, so...
smile.png

Internet explorer is outdated and the most widely hacked browser. You will find more and more sites will not be optimized for IE as Safari and Firefox are far superior

I've drug you each to this post 'cause I thought you'd benefit from it. But, I do tend to type/talk entirely too much -- to skip the veggies and find the meat? skim down to the numbered list.

From way back when they released '98, Microsoft has proven to be one of the dirtiest, crooked-est companies around. They gave us pre-releases, so as to work our own software into seamlessly, only to then block what others programmed and copy the concepts of each into applications of their own -- that way, their own software appeared to work fine, but everyone else's required the downloading of patches from them.

And, back to the release of DOS 6.22, they flat-out absolutely stole Stacker 4.0's compression engine, and made it an integral part of their own release.

XP was broken, and had huge security holes, even *before* it was released, and (as usual) Microsoft simply released to that way -- by the time folks could download the patches to recently restores machines, crackers would find and exploit their fresh installations.

Internet Explorer, again, has yet to release a fully compatible browser that doesn't fail in one manner of another.

"Why's he's goin' on and on about all this?"

Glad you asked ... my suggestion, to all:

1. Download and Install the Firefox browser, which *DOES* work just as is, without additional plug-ins, but there's a lot of good ones that really do make it better.
Visit http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/ and click the green button (that's easy enough ~'-)
2. Keep Internet Explorer (and the Windows environment) installed, and constantly updated, but use the Firefox browser -- Most especially when browsing unknown areas of the 'net, or handling sensitive informations: It's far more secure, and nearly impossible to exploit IE if it is not open/running (but, painfully simple, when it is ~'-)
You've found that love/hate divide, in regard to open-source vs. commercial release. I suggest the more realistic and productive use of both, as the most responsible developers will always make their websites accessible to all, but there will still be times you may wanna do things that require the licensed softwares (i.e. certain formats of video, or specific codecs, or iTunes, etc.).
3. Download/Install UBUNTU, my favorite release of the Linux Operating System, to run inside of Windows, or on that system you replace because it was "too slow" and .. betcha it's faster w/ Linux than your new system is w/ MS. And, it's even sharper than Mac's OS X.
Visit http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu for more.
4. Download/Install Open Office, which is fully compatible w/ Microsoft Office, and learn to use it as well -- no license fees, and the files produced by one will open/edit/etc. in the other w/o any problems.
Visit http://www.openoffice.org/download/ to get it, and again to add onto it.

Takin' this a bit further, for those that embraced all steps above: There is a *huge* potential for those that master the use of Linux and/or Open Office ... consulting and/or training is the most obvious direction, because business and government often pays much higher fees for licensing, and would not need to upgrade systems if somebody (like you) came in, installed the software, trained their employees, etc.

Last edited:
I have IE9 and it works fine now after the disc cleanup and windows updates.... so not sure what is going on with the others..... oh I turned off compatibility view as well.... so I havent a clue,..... I have chrome but rather use this IE9

IE9 adds a good bit of useful things ... microsoft claims it fully supports html5, css3, and SVG images. However, googling "ie9 broken" produces 1.1 million results, so it sounds as if they've produced yet another problematic browser for us all to have to come up w/ workarounds for. But, at least there is that compatibility mode, which you (as a visitor) can choose, but that I (as a developer) can force your browser to do, by adding somethin' like this ...
... which helps make your browser at least *seem* to work the way we all need it to ... right.

Which brings me to Firefox ... have had very few issues w/ the way it works, save for when I'm bein' really picky over what it does w/ a few pixels here 'n there. As far as browsers go? It's among the most secure, when it comes to protecting your informations, and most consistent, when it comes to displaying pages as they were intended by the folks makin' the page(s) you visit.

It's not really an either/or choice here ... I (again, as a developer) use multiple versions of different browsers, and on different platforms, in the hopes of makin' things work as I want, which is as the visitor needs it to. But, for general browsing? I almost always click the firefox shortcut, whether using my computer or my phone. But, I have seen rare times that at least *try* to require the Microsoft's OS and/or IEx (iTunes comes to mind ~'-)

If you can't bring yourself to transition away from IE? Be certain to keep your system updated, and never allow IE (or any other software) to store your passwords, or your credit card numbers 'n such -- clear the cache often, and sign off/on before/after using internet-based banking, investing, etc. and you'll most probably be fine.

Last edited:
"Those still having problems ... reply to this thread ..."

I usually talk/type entirely too much, but I'll try 'n be brief ...

The suggestions in my previous post may no longer be req'd, but around line 80 or 81 of your code, nested w/in a child element ...

Might that be the reason the font loads w/o end, unless/until it crashes?
I tried to duplicate the problem in a test page, but failed to do more than choke IE9's parser a few times; froze it up, but never looped.

One more thing, in regard to askin' folks to not view in compatibility mode ...

... and, I apologize for stickin' my nose in your business; most folks in the top 20K don't really need this plowboy's advice ~'-)

Seriously! Its back! But I have proof!!!!!! And I am not the only one it happened to lol!

This is exactly what is happening to me and clearing the cach did nothing. If I hit "reply" to a post, I no longer get the original post- to respond to- I only get a blank area and no way to add color, change font, or anything and the response, when posted, runs together as one big line.

If i hit "quote" I get the HTML code.

Anyone figure out how to get around this update????

I did everything that I could, in Internet Explorer 9, and nothing worked. I had to download Firefox (open source Browser) to be able to get back all the features- in BYC- that I had before this "update". Appears that they did not completely test, using Explorer, before releasing. Gee, how 'microsoft' of them!!

I hate having to use two Browsers but the other choice was dumping BYC.

Back
Top Bottom