BYC KNITTING CLUB

Pics
Quote:
Is it easy and fast? I don't want to try something and take a month to get a skein of wool!
lol.png

It takes getting used to and it is not fast. I once spun yarn for a pair of gloves in 2 or 3 days, but that was working on it all day then it takes the 2 to 3 days to knit the gloves for me. I'm sure most or a lot are faster than me, but I do it because I enjoy it.

Quote:
Is it easy and fast? I don't want to try something and take a month to get a skein of wool!
lol.png

It takes getting used to and it is not fast. I once spun yarn for a pair of gloves in 2 or 3 days, but that was working on it all day then it takes the 2 to 3 days to knit the gloves for me. I'm sure most or a lot are faster than me, but I do it because I enjoy it.

I watched a video on Youtube, looks interesting. Might be worth the $10 or so for a spindle just to give it a go.

Quote:

I watched a video on Youtube, looks interesting. Might be worth the $10 or so for a spindle just to give it a go.

Yes it would. I started with a drop spindle to see if I would like making my own yarn. I went to a wheel soon after....my cousin say I'm creepy because I have and use a spinning wheel....she thinks of Sleeping Beauty
lau.gif

Quote:
gig.gif
Oh I think the wheels are really neat looking! But a bit pricey for just "giving it a go"

I need to figure out the cost of the roving as well - it might not be worth it in the long run.
(unless I buy some sheep!!)

Thank you all for your interest in the single circular needle technique!!! I have only posted a few times on different threads, and you've made me feel so welcome.
love.gif

Here is a great page that should introduce you to the Magic Loop technique and then how to use it to knit 2 socks on one Circular as well. Besides socks, I love knitting those short fingered gloves. My daughter is in Junior High, and all the girls are either wearing them, or bugging her to have me make some.

Site here- Hope it links right.
http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Magic_Loop

I just taught myself how to knit last night. I bought bamboo yarn, bamboo needles(the appropriate size to get the gauge just right), as well as organic cotton yarn. I am making a scarf. Ok, I know it isn't a super original piece, but I am in love with scarves. My question is... how do you put together more than one color in whatever you are making? I mean, if you are making something with stripes, how do you change colors as you knit? Because I want to knit several rows of one color to make a bottom border on both ends, then solid through the main body of the scarf. But I don't know how to transition from one color yarn to the next. My mother is an expert at knitting, but I am doing this as a suprise for her. I have always been fascinated when she knits, but never was able to pick it up. Now I have taught myself a couple basics and want to suprise her by working on my own project while she is knitting too. It's kind of a bonding thing.
wink.png
Thanks for any assistance. This is Soo cool that we not only all have chickens in common, but also some other things as well!!!
smile.png
Yay!

Sequin -- to join a new color yarn, just start using it at the beginning of the row where you want it. Your first few stitches may be lose, but you can gently tighten them by pulling on the tail of the yarn you just joined after workking a few stitches. Here's a simple explanation of how to join yarn, in general:

http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/10

Jena -- One the most beloved knitting podcasters, Brenda Dayne, is in Wales. Do you listen to her podcast, Cast-On?

At least the differences between UK knitting terms and US knitting terms isn't quite as bad as it is for crochet!

wildsky -- If the slipper pattern you're doing is the Fiber Trends one, you can use long (14 inch) straights instead, if you prefer. I typically used straights and a circular.

These days, I pretty much use circulars for everything, even flat knitting. This way I'm less likely to poke someone while knitting on the el, bus or train.
wink.png

Quote:
I like using circulars for straight, too. I find it easier to balance the needles because they are short. When I use the long needles, I kind of stick the left one behind my belt buckle. Can you tell I'm a self taught knitter?

Quote:
Very cool....thanks so much for posting it. I will have to try this out.

I make the fingerless/half finger gloves also. Did one pair for myself, then everyone just has to have them. I need to get the ones I made for my sister in the mail soon.

Glad you are feeling welcome....happy to have you here
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom