BYC KNITTING CLUB

I tried going to a newer Michael's after another store that I used to buy yarn at had to close. I was trying to buy yarn to knit a sweater. All the yarns I wanted to buy had only a couple of skeins or a couple of skeins in each dye lot and the dye lots were very different looking. They seemed to be stocked for people knitting only scarves. Those sizes that are missing would be for sweaters. I guess that's not a priority for Michael's.

My favorite knitting needles are plastic for DPN's and bamboo for straight
smile.png

I like the Knit Picks wood needles. The points are so sharp and the wood feels good and are pretty.

I am not saying that because I carry them in my yarn shop, I carry them in my yarn shop because of my experience with them.

Wow, our Michael's here which is 40 mins from where I live in another county. Is so jamed packed with stuff you can hardly move in the store. The yarn section just plain stinks. I was there seeing what needles they had and they had none really. Yarn wise alot like walmart but higher priced and a bit more selection but not the quantity for large projects.

You know after using circular needles i will not go back to straights. Those are just too heavy and ackward. But I will get some metal circualrs to try out. Looking at picking up one of the chiaogoos red lace before I buy a metal set. I actually had no problems using my metal straights but for the weight and they split yarns from dull points. Then again I am using acrylic yarn and a cheep one at that right now.

KNit tip today!!
So I thought I'd share this with you all. I am knitting some dolly clothes for my daughter. I made a shawl for the doll using a size 17 needle. yes large!
lol.png

Now I am at work and want to start knitting some leg warmers, I dont have small needles on me. What to use.....I started out with the thin coffee stirers? (cant spell today) lol. they are way to flimsey. I see pens everywhere here. I take 2 ball point pens and remove the ink. Its the pens that have the nice soft grip. I am using them!!! Its so cool!! lol!! I added some tape to the ends of the pen, just incase the yarn falls. So far so good!!!!!
lol.png
lol.png
celebrate.gif

I see pens everywhere here. I take 2 ball point pens and remove the ink. Its the pens that have the nice soft grip. I am using them!!! Its so cool!! lol!! I added some tape to the ends of the pen, just incase the yarn falls. So far so good!!!!! lol lol celebrate

thumbsup.gif
Righteous.

Terrielacy, I am so jealous. When I can't handle standing on my feet in kitchen shoes and rolling out 8 dozen cinnamon buns a day anymore, I want to open a yarn shop. I am sure you are on your feet all the time, but I am surrounded by smelly, cursing men, in a smelly, loud kitchen. The relative peace of my LYS is like a mini vacation to some tropical isle.
Maybe I'll hit the LYS after I go to the feed store...​

There you go, Annie! I've used dowel rods, pencils & kabob skewers all with great success while knitting.

IMHO, the quality of the yarn is far more important that the stick you are knitting with.

Then again, I'm a spinner and a certified yarn snob!
lol.png

Last edited:
I spin most of my own, but I do occasionally buy sock yarns. Patons Kroy sock yarn is nice, yet inexpensive. I do need to get two skeins of Patons to finish a pair of socks. I adore the Poems Sock Yarn. One skein is plenty for a pair of socks and plenty left over to keep for darning.

I buy online or I pick up some yarn at Fiber Festivals.

Blue Moon Fiber is my favorite for hand painted yarns. Online shopping from the site is fun but going to their booth at the Black Sheep Gathering is a blast of color over load! Beautiful sock yarn. I buy most of my yarn for the year at Black Sheep Gathering. So nice to meet the people spinning and/or hand painting the yarn. I can get into way too much trouble with the hand spun angora!

Back
Top Bottom