1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

BYC Member Interview - BantyChooks

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sumi, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    "Chicken", known to BYC members as BantyChooks or Banty, has been a member of our community since August 2015. Another of our wonderful all-rounders, she's known for her friendliness and beautiful pics.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

I’ve been a crazy animal lady since birth. I grew up with indoor pets and livestock alike but I have always been more drawn towards the farm animals than any others, for some reason. You know that weird kid in your class that always came running in late with manure on her boots? That was me. Fast-forwarding many years later, I still love about any critter you can come up with and have owned quite a few of them.

I have a few other interests besides keeping critters, including sewing, artwork, photography, and hockey. (Go Habs go!) I wouldn't say I'm good at any of them but I sure have fun.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

Hmm… I am fairly sure I've had them since spring of 2014, or maybe winter of 2013. I first started keeping them when a neighbour that was getting out of poultry offered me her flock and coop. I said “Why not, fresh eggs are good,” and well, here we are. I never expected to grow so attached to these little boogers. They are much more personable than the skittery white layers I knew as a kid. I started with about 40 laying hens and since then my numbers have fluctuated from as low as 13 to as high as 50. I have probably owned about 200 by now at one time or another. Right now I have 35 birds including 9 ducks. I have kept ducks on and off since I got chickens but got into them more seriously about April 2016. Other poultry I have owned include guinea fowl and quail, both of which didn't work out too well for me. I am thinking of trying quail again, maybe in 2019.

Raising chickens for meat is not out of the picture for the future, but for now I'm just enjoying eggs.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

Incubating. There is just something magical about watching new life start and hatch as a peeping chick in just 21 days. I've also hatched quail and ducks and they're just as fun. I have hatched about 50 chicks so far in my homemade incubator and have plans to ramp up the quantity quite a bit in the next while. Daily chores are fun too, I'd say, except for when it's somewhere in the negatives and the winds are howling.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
    I could fill pages with stories here. All of my birds are special for different reasons, but admittedly I have a few special favourites. First off is my Chrissy bird, a Welsh Harlequin duck. She was injured in a mink attack at the end of December that killed her two buddies. She lost a foot to frostbite, but is healing well and I am hoping will make a full recovery. She is currently a house duck, and, um, might stay that way. She is such a trusting and sweet girl.

index.jpg

My Chrissy with some chickens that were in the house due to frostbite and young age. Apologies for the poor image quality, indoors is not a good place for photo shoots.

Second would be Jace, my nearly-two-year-old Spangled OEGB. She is your typical bantam, not scared of anything and incredibly broody. She went broody four times in her first year, and I’m sure will do it again as soon as she gets her rear in gear and resumes laying. She loves popsicles, and admittedly I might share a few with her in summer. Don’t tell the chicken dietary police! Despite her thing for popsicles, she hates cold weather and will come running when her feet are cold and jump into my hands to warm up. She even climbed up on Mr. Feed Bill Payer once and he's not as much of a fan of the birds.

Jace2016.jpg
    Jace with her first brood

Third—how many am I allowed to choose anyway?—would be my SH chicks, Torvi and Kari. They jump out of the brooder every morning and ride around on my shoulders whilst I finish up the rest of the morning chores. I call them my little E.T. twins because when they stretch up their necks, blinking their large black eyes at you, they really do look like E.T. come back to earth. They are the two black chickens in Chrissy's photo but here's another just because.

good.jpg
    I'm fairly sure this one is Kari.

Fourth; Emma, my 8yr old EE hen. She is the reason I have chickens, actually. I saw her at my neighbour's house and just loved her colouring and gentle personality. She is the lead hen of the whole flock and lends a calm aurora to the rest of the chooks.

Emma2016.jpg

Fifth; Sweet Jazz, AKA Jazzy, one of my recent EE x Sultan hatches. From day one she was something special, seeming to think humans were great without much of an effort at taming her. She has matured into a beautiful snow-white bird with that sweet personality still firmly ingrained, something often lost for a while at her age. She recently started laying, and she has beautiful blue-green eggs just like her sister, Sunshine.
    I had better stop here, but I could ramble on for hours about the rest of my little brood, which admittedly isn't so little.

Jazzy2016.jpg

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?
    Probably when Enya, my CLB pullet, decided the best way to get my attention when she was hungry was to sit on my back and complain. Crowding around my feet like the others wasn’t good enough, oh no. I’d just be walking along the boxes, collecting eggs, when she’d jump up onto me and seem to say in her chicken-y voice, “Got any FOOD? Do ya? Do ya?” I find it hilarious just how perfectly they can communicate their wants despite not being human.

I used to have a parakeet that would mimic me reprimanding one of the more troublesome kiddos, but since parakeets aren't poultry I'll save that story for another day.

I don't have too much more in the way of funny stories, but I have plenty of sweet or cute ones.

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

I currently have a dog, a rabbit, a duck, and a guinea pig; plans are in place for goats. I am pretty low on 'other critters' at the moment but I'll likely add more again someday.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

I’d like to thank the many members of BYC that have been friends to me, enabled me, helped me, smacked me back to reality when I needed it, and helped grow my knowledge enough that I can take care of these lovely critters some call ‘chickens’ correctly. I only hope I can pass on enough of that knowledge to do some sort of justice to all the info I’ve received.

If I tried to name even a fraction of these members I'd be here 'till next Christmas, but I want to call out the members on Sally's hatching thread, Granny's house, and the Pond for their especially amazing help. Thanks, y'all.

I also would like to give my thanks to the moderators and administrators here for devoting so much of their time to this huge site. It is much appreciated.

And now for some more pictures, because you obviously weren't sick enough of them yet to stop reading:

Bella2016.jpg

Chick2016.jpg

Jace2015.jpg

Kari2017.jpg

Kari22017.jpg

Leghorns2017.jpg

LL.jpg

LL (1).jpg

Lucky2016.jpg

P1240861.jpg

Pebbles2016.jpg

Pingu2016.jpg

Rocky2016.jpg

Zoey2017.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/371240/bantychooks

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

2. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Fun interview Banty, it was nice reading more about your animals. And great photos as always! [​IMG]

room onthebroom and BantyChooks like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great interview, Banty - nice one!

1 person likes this.
  4. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Crowing

Banty, Thanks for a very nice interview!
    It's good to meet the person behind the name, and of course nice pic's!!
    Scott

1 person likes this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Lovely! :clap

Thanks for sharing!

1 person likes this.
  6. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Very nice Banty
    lol

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What a great interview, thank you so much for sharing! The pictures are fabulous.

1 person likes this.

8. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

Very nice, as usual, Bubbles

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Very nice Banty! You sure have mastered the art of photography, your pictures are fabulous!

Thanks for sharing! :)

room onthebroom and BantyChooks like this.
  10. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    fixed it for you Whites

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by