BYC Member Interview - BantyChooks

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sumi, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    "Chicken", known to BYC members as BantyChooks or Banty, has been a member of our community since August 2015. Another of our wonderful all-rounders, she's known for her friendliness and beautiful pics.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

I’ve been obsessed with animals for quite a while now. Chickens are a recent addition, but I don’t think I’ve ever been without at least a parakeet or two. Can't imagine being without my feathered and fuzzy friends... Life wouldn't be the same without them.

I have a few hobbies besides chickens, the biggest one is photography… I love taking a camera out there and challenging myself to find a new way to portray a scene some might not even look twice at.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

Hmm… It must be near to three or four years that I’ve had chickens. I first started keeping them when a neighbour offered me her flock and coop. I said “Why not, fresh eggs are good”, and well, here we are. Never expected to grow so attached to these little boogers. Turns out they’re fantastic pets as well as producers of the tastiest eggs you ever did have.

Raising them for meat is not out of the picture for the future, but for now I'm just enjoying eggs.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

Incubating. There is just something magical about watching new life start and hatch as a peeping chick in just 21 days. I am still ironing out kinks in my incubating technique, but I’ve had a few good hatches and can’t wait to have more.

One other quite enjoyable part is just sitting down near them and watching them. It’s better than Xanax for relaxing. I occasionally end up with a large pile of chickens on my lap when I do this, most of them either asleep or trying to eat my hair. Silly biddies.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

I could fill pages with stories here…. All of my girls are special for different reasons, but admittedly I have a few special favourites. First off is my Chrissy bird, a WH duck. She was injured in a mink attack at the end of December that killed her two buddies. She lost a foot to frostbite, but is healing well and I am hoping will make a full recovery. She is currently a house duck, and, um, might stay that way. She is such a trusting and sweet girl, and just chillin’ with her for a bit improves my whole day.

Second…. Probably Jace, my nearly-two-year-old Spangled OEGB. She is your typical bantam, not skeered of anything and incredibly broody. She went broody four times in her first year, and I’m sure will do it again as soon as she gets her rear in gear and resumes laying. She loves popsicles, and admittedly I might share a few with her in summer. Don’t tell the chicken dietary police! [​IMG]

Third… - how many am I allowed to choose anyway? - My SH babies, Torvi and Kari. They jump out of the brooder every morning and ride around on my shoulders whilst I finish up the rest of the morning chores. I call them my little E.T. twins coz when they stretch up their necks, blinking their large black eyes at you, they really do look like E.T. come back to earth.

Fourth… Emma, my 8yr old EE hen. She is the reason I have chickens, actually. I saw her at my neighbour's house and just loved her colouring and gentle personality. She is the lead hen of the whole flock and lends a calm aurora to the rest of the chooks.

Fifth... Sweet Jazz, AKA Jazzy, one of my recent EE x Sultan hatches. From day one she was somethin' special, seeming to just think humans were awesome without much of an effort at taming her. She has matured into a beautiful snow-white bird with that sweet personality still firmly ingrained, something often lost for a while at her age. She recently started laying, and she has beautiful blue-green eggs just like her sister, Sunshine.

I had better stop here, but I could ramble on for hours about the rest of my little brood, which admittedly isn't so little any more. [​IMG]

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

Probably when Enya, my CLB pullet, decided the best way to get my attention when she was hungry was to sit on my back and complain… Crowding around my feet like the others wasn’t good enough, oh no. I’d just be walking along the boxes, collecting eggs, when she’d jump up onto me and seem to say in her chicken-y voice, “Got any FOOD? Do ya? Do ya?

I find it hilarious just how perfectly they can communicate their wants despite not being human.

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

I currently have a dog, a rabbit, a duck, and a guinea pig; plans are in place for goats. In the past I’ve had many other critters such as cats, parakeets, hamsters, and fish, but I am getting a little deeper into the farm animal side now. I blame the chickens. They truly are the best 'gateway' animal, eh?

7. Anything you'd like to add?

I’d like to thank the many members of BYC that have been friends to me, enabled me, helped me, smacked me back to reality when I needed it, and helped grow my knowledge enough that I can even start to take care of these lovely critters some call ‘chickens’ correctly… I only hope I can pass on enough of that knowledge to do some sort of justice to all the info I’ve received.

If I tried to name even a fraction of these members I'd be here 'til next Christmas, but I want to call out the members on Sally's hatching thread, Granny's house, and The Pond Crew for their 'specially amazing help. Thanks, y'all [​IMG]

I also wanna give many thanks to the moderators and administrators on this site for devoting so much of their time to this huge site. It is much appreciated!

Chrissy bird
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bubbles
    [​IMG]

Willow
    [​IMG]

Torvi
    [​IMG]

EE chicks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rocky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ducks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jace
    [​IMG]

Lucky
    [​IMG]

Reynbow
    [​IMG]

HennyPenny II & Reynbow
    [​IMG]

Pingu (beak was trimmed shortly after)
    [​IMG]

Bella & Friends
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tucson
    [​IMG]

Jazzy
    [​IMG]

Sunshine
    [​IMG]

Emma
    [​IMG]

Pebbles
    [​IMG]

Inca
    [​IMG]

Jace
    [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/371240/bantychooks

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Fun interview Banty, it was nice reading more about your animals. And great photos as always! [​IMG]

room onthebroom and BantyChooks like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great interview, Banty - nice one!

1 person likes this.
  4. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Banty, Thanks for a very nice interview!
    It's good to meet the person behind the name, and of course nice pic's!!
    Scott

1 person likes this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Lovely! :clap

Thanks for sharing!

1 person likes this.
  6. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Very nice Banty
    lol

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What a great interview, thank you so much for sharing! The pictures are fabulous.

1 person likes this.
  8. kwhites634

kwhites634 Father Time Premium Member

Very nice, as usual, Bubbles

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Very nice Banty! You sure have mastered the art of photography, your pictures are fabulous!

Thanks for sharing! :)

room onthebroom and BantyChooks like this.
  10. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    fixed it for you Whites

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by