BYC Member Interview - CluckerFamily

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
CluckerFamily

Come say hello to @CluckerFamily! Brandi has been a member since February 2016 and comes to us from Wisconsin.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.
I live in Central Wisconsin almost in the very center of the state... we say we are in the Heart of Wisconsin.
Outside of BYC, my name is Brandi and I am 33 years old.
Kind of odd but I have had a bucket list since I was 11 years old and the goal was to complete the bucket list by the time I was 30... which I did! The list wasn’t that long nor was it what a normal bucket list contains but it was something I felt may not be obtainable: graduate high school, be the first in my family to graduate from college, graduate college debt free, get a job in education, buy my own house, and live an independent life with animals.
Since I was little, I was my dad’s assistant in each building or remodeling project that we thought of and it was with him that I realized that a woman can be independent. My first building project I remember was helping my dad reroof the garage when I was 5 years old.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?
I have had chickens since the Spring of 2013.
I have wanted Easter Egger chickens before that and happened to be walking through a local hardware store and just happened to walk out with 8 Easter Egger chicks. Of course since this all just happened to occur on a whim, I didn’t have a coop built but knew I wanted to build my own. 3 weeks later, I had my coop built!
I currently have 16 hens and a rooster.

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
I love how each chicken has their own personality. Since the first day I brought home my first batch of chicks, I would spend time talking to them and calling them by their names. Each chicken knows their own name and they each respond to their name.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
This is a tough question to answer, each chicken has their own perks. Clarabelle is the one hen that tends to give me the most stories to tell. She is one of my hens from my first batch of chicks.
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.19.58 AM.png

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
This story involves Clarabelle... of course: I was outside hanging with the flock, just talking and giving treats. Out of the corner of my eye I see Clarabelle walking down the gravel driveway that leads to the highway. I say "Clarabelle! Clarabelle?!?" She stops but won't look at me (kind of like when a kids plays hide-and-seek by covering their eyes, it just makes them invisible). "I can still see you, come back here." She turns only her head to look at me. Then goes to take another step when I say "Clarabelle, get back here!" I was partially laughing because she still had her leg raised to take that step and froze when I told her to get back here. She then turns and starts coming back to me.

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
I have two goldendoodles named Beans and Frankie.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.09.17 AM.png

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I love gardening, painting, and crocheting.
My favorite flowers are those passed down from important elderly neighbors and loved ones:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.10.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.11.37 AM.png

The simple life allows moments for painting:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.12.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.13.29 AM.png

And time for crocheting:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.14.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.15.37 AM.png

Thank you BYC!!

@CluckerFamily

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:
introducing-vip-member-interviews.905602

Back
Top Bottom