BYC Member Interview - LindaB220

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Linda, known to BYC members as LindaB220, has been a member of our community since August 2013. Another of our wonderful "all rounders", she is known for her friendliness, warmth and good advice.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

I'm an older Southern lady who is retired from a parish District Attorney's office. And boy do I love retirement. I live with my daughter Aimee Hortman and her husband Clint and grandson A.J. She owns and runs a dog grooming and boarding salon on our land and is incredibly busy. I have been recovering from a knee replacement recently. Three weeks away from my chickens put me into chicken withdrawal big time. But I'm home now and out feeding my gang again.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

You know, when I first retired, I wanted to get myself in better shape. Eating better and losing some weight. I became very interested in having my own garden for fresh veggies and realized I really wanted some chickens. I started with BYC in August 2013 and read and learned and fell in love with the whole aspect of raising some really beautiful chickens. I got my first hatchery chicks in April of 2014 but was still searching for the "right" bird. Then I discovered Bob Blosl and his amazing White Rocks. I missed meeting Bob by this time but was able to get a start of both the Blosl (a pair) and XW Poultry (a trio) rocks from a local fellow on the La thread.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

Besides the instant love that comes at me from all my birds at feeding time, I guess the best aspect would be the hatching of babies. Nothing is more lovable than a brand new baby. But they grow so fast that I must keep hatching. Right?

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

My best bird by far is the Blosl cock and number 2 is the XW cock. Incredibly regal and just stunning. Everybody that comes to view the birds always gives me a phone number to call when I start selling hatching eggs or chicks. No one has ever passed them by without just standing and staring.

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

I was never going to tell this story but it's so funny. Totally lacking in dignity. I had rescued a few CX layers from a hatchery. I got eight females and one male. Only trouble is the hens stopped laying a week after I got them. So I decided to process the male who had been eating me out of house and home. He was huge. A good 12 or more pounds after a month or so. I had been hearing of a different way to process using a broomstick. So I put his neck under the broomstick and stood on it. Pulling up. Man he was heavy. So I tried even harder. He went one way and I fell back the other.. Both sitting on the ground glaring at each other. I was thinking, "Thank God no one is home to view this fiasco."
gig.gif
He was eventually dispatched, but definitely not with the broomstick. I'll leave that for younger, more agile people.

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

Of course, being a dog grooming family, we have 2 dogs. One is an English Labrador that is old and lovable. But our reason for living is to take care of our small 6 pound Diva chihuahua/poodle mix. Angel owns the joint and knows it.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

Without bringing out my soapbox I'd like to talk a little about BYC. I have been on forums before and never have had such a positive outpouring of kindness, friendship and helping. I was on the forum for seven months researching and learning before I ever got my first chick. So many mentors out there helping people. A few stand out for me. Of course, Bob Blosl, whose legacy remains in his fabulous thread. Please read it if you haven't. Fred of Fred's Hens is also chock full of knowledge. On my first day I discovered a thread called " Fermented Feed for Meat Birds". Beekissed is my hero. I've learned so much good info from that thread and others. Ron Ott is so wonderful on his New Years hatching thread. So patient and able to answer all questions. And one more that I want to mention. Hellbender gave me some terrific advice that not all birds have to be heritage. For my needs I'll be buying ISA Brown's for my egg business next year. I want to thank Sumi for giving me this honor of telling my story...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/234701/lindab220

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

thumbsup.gif

You made me want to run out and get more birds!

I like your coop a lot too.
Are those sand bags around the base?

If you have some time would you please add more pictures of your coop?
or do you have pictures on another thread? Thanks.

Last edited:
That was such a nice interview!

Your birds are gorgeous. Thanks for the funny story about the broomstick encounter, nice to know I'm not the only klutz around, lol.

It was very generous of you to thank the BYC members for their part, loved that.

Thank you for sharing your story!

thumbsup.gif
- what a great interview. Love the picture of your beautiful birds! So glad that you are recovering now and back out with your birds - those knee replacements are no small thing, my MIL went through one not too long ago and I know she was plenty stir crazy by the time she was able to be back up and going again. I am sure your birds missed you!

I very much enjoyed this one - thanks for sharing. I count, as a top 10 poultry experience, meeting Bob Blosl in person. He and I stood and chatted for over an hour at a very cold poultry show...he gave of his time so freely, and was so helpful to folks. I very, very much miss him.

And Fred's Hens? Yup. One of the best. He's not around much here, but I do keep in contact with him off BYC, and feel honored to count him as a good friend.

Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with us...and best of luck in your recovery from your knee replacement!

Back
Top Bottom