BYC Member Interview - microchick

@microchick
How did you decide where to purchase your homestead?
Hi Leah! Sorry for the delay in responding.

We originally bought land in MO that had a large RV in it. Part of it was being tilled. We figured it would give us a foot into the area and we could decide if it was what we were looking for. We found out about the original land from a patient who owned land nearby. The fact that the crop gave us a mild income helped. We would go there on weekends and would venture out on my husband's motorcycle looking for property.

The RV property was nice. We liked the income but it was flat and we wanted something with hills and timber. We found our homestead during one of those ventures out into the back roads around where we lived and bought it. Afterwards, we sold the original property to a neighbor who wanted to incorporate the land into his existing farmland. Win Win.

We had to find some place that would allow us to commute back to western IL where DH's practice was until we were ready to retire. Once again, the same patient asked us why we didn't consider Missouri. We did and have never regretted it. The only thing we regret was not being able to move here sooner.

There are a lot of Amish built homesteads for sale around us. The Amish community is ever shifting here but a lot of homesteads are being bought by non Amish and converted to modern houses.

Love, love, love your story. My sleeping /not sleeping schedule doesn't mesh well with most of the BYC activity. I end up posting mostly at unusual hours. But, sooner or later I catch up with things.

So glad I caught up to you.:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom