BYC Member Interview - Yellow House Farm

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Joseph, known to BYC members as Yellow House Farm, has been a BYC member since June 2009. He'll most often be found the Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection where he is known for expert, no-nonsense advice and his extensive knowledge on breeding to the Standard of Perfection.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

I was moved as a wee bairn to Barrington, New Hampshire by wonderful, loving, hippy parents whose goal was to live off the land and to lead a simpler life. I now live in the same town on a small farm with my husband, Robert Gibson, who is my best friend and partner in poultry. I have six godchildren who are my pride and joy, and I teach Latin at a local high school.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

Some of my earliest memories involved poultry. My parents had a menagerie of what we used to call banties for fun, and standard-bred Rhode Island Reds for production. I started my own poultry collection with standard-bred Mallards and Crested ducks when I was about nine years old. Then I acquired some standard-bred Mille Fleur D'Uccles and Black tailed White Japanese bantams. I kept them for years, and they were a great education.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

Hands down, the breeding to the Standard of Perfection. I love the challenge, the genetics and the history. Each generation brings new successes and new lessons. I am always excited to see what will come next. I am ever grateful for my involvement in APA/ABA culture and for the invaluable friends and mentors who have shared their knowledge so generously and who have cheered me on at every turn.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

The most remarkable members of our flocks of White Dorkings and Rose Comb Anconas are those which most approximate the Standard of Perfection. They are exciting to see and hard won through much effort. The current reigning pullet is Rose Comb Ancona number 969 who placed as Reserve Champion Mediterranean at the 100th anniversary meet of the American Bantam Association held at the 2014 Ohio National.

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

Too many to tell and best shrouded in mystery. Sufficed to say there is a learning curve to all things.

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

We have had many an animal adventure, but currently, barring Colby, our faithful Yellow Lab, the chickens are it--and that's certainly enough.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

I would only add a word of encouragement to any would be breeder. Please, purchase a copy of the Standard of Perfection. Choose one variety of one breed and get your seed stock from the most reputable APA/ABA breeder possible. Join the APA and the ABA and be part of the adventure. The joy of breeding is held within these tried and true ranks. Best of luck! Joseph.

In the middle with two poultry friends, doing what they love most.

Silver Spangled Cockerels - Sept 2014

Dorking Cockerels - Nov 2013

Ancona pullets - 2014

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/35052/yellow-house-farm

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Joseph, thanks for sharing a bit about yourself with us. Nice to be able to see some pictures of your birds...those Silver Spangled Cockerels are gorgeous!

thumbsup.gif

I'm not a SOP breeder, but love cruising that section and learning from all the great posts there. Your posts always catch my eye with your practical advice and high standards. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience with the community!

Back
Top Bottom