BYC members in Massachusetts?

In Bedford MA.
2 sussex, 2 NH reds, all Hens. No roo's allowed in this town.

In 2 years I will be moving a little more West of here for a farm so I can have LOTS of chickies @!

:)

How many use Organic feed? What do you use and do you like it?

We use Green Mountain organic feed for our animals. At our farm supply I think a 50lb bag of layer pellets is $26-$28. We only eat food grown without chemicals so it's important for us to have the eggs from our hens be organic as well, even if it costs more. We also grow some of our own food and don't want any toxins from the manure going into our plants.
One year after buying manure compost from cows fed gmo/conventional feed many of our plants grew in weird ways and the weeds that we saw every year developed crazy mutations. Some of them were barely even recognizable. It was creepy.

@keesmom, Are you in Bedford?? There are a bunch of people that have chickens. 4 and under you don't need a permit and no it isn't rural enough lol. I would rather Lincoln or Carlisle, much more rural, but WAY too $$$ for my wallet.
Organics isn't that much more money since mine are out eating bugs and stuff. Or so it seems they are not big eaters. I got a 50# of New Coutry Organics for $38, I think the Green Mountain crumbles were about the same price/size (I should have got the crumbles).
@Lozuufy, I had gotten a gallon size bag of the G.M. mash from someone and they liked it.
Seems NewC.O. and the G.M. are the only Organics I can find here. I may go up to Dodge Grain in Salem NH to see what they have. They are really nice people and I have dealt with them for the last 15 years on and off for various things.

@keesmom, Are you in Bedford?? There are a bunch of people that have chickens. 4 and under you don't need a permit and no it isn't rural enough lol. I would rather Lincoln or Carlisle, much more rural, but WAY too $$$ for my wallet.
Organics isn't that much more money since mine are out eating bugs and stuff. Or so it seems they are not big eaters. I got a 50# of New Coutry Organics for $38, I think the Green Mountain crumbles were about the same price/size (I should have got the crumbles).
I'm near Bedford.

With only 4 you don't go through that much feed, so I guess $38 for a bag of feed wouldn't be too bad. I have a lot more chickens so I stick to the $14 gamebird crumbles from Blue Seal in NH. Since it's straight from the manufacturer it's fresher than what I can get closer to home.

I'm not sure where New Country is manufactured but Green Mountain is from VT. I know in the past a rep from them has posted in the Feed forum.

Do you get your feed at Erikson's? Agway in Chelmsford has one brand of organic but I forget what it is, though I'm sure it wasn't Green Mountain. Dodge Grain has at least one kind too.

Since it takes you a while to go through a 50 lb bag you may want to see if you can get organic in 25 lbs instead.

Hi, Yes I knew GM is in VT (love VT), and Erikson's carries it and the New Country Orangic.
I went to Dodge Grain Saturday (got stuck in that horrid rain storm on the way back) they only have the Purina Organic, which I bought the crumbles. Will see how they like it.

Waltham Agway has an organic too , naturesmart but it was $35 for a 25 or 35 lb bag can't remember, just thought it was $$.

Waltham Agway has an organic too , naturesmart but it was $35 for a 25 or 35 lb bag can't remember, just thought it was $$.
I think that's the same brand the Chelmsford Agway has. I don't go there often, all the feed seems expensive.

Blue Seal also has organic starter, grower and layer but the store is in Milford NH. It has soy, not sure if you're looking for soy free? I get 200-300 lbs of feed/corn so it's worth the trip for me. Probably no worth the trip for you.

I have heard a lot of good things about Green Mountain, so if it were me that's what I would get. Plus it's probably the one that's milled the closest. Erkson's is always busy so you know the feed hasn't been sitting around long too.

South Shore, MA here!

Just getting started with my own. Anyone know where I could pick up some chicks locally? I realize I'm a bit late into the season so all the feed stores seem to be long since sold out. I was hoping to avoid buying chicks by mail if I can.

Looking for 6 buff orps, plymouth rocks, or something easy for beginners with kids and well behaved dogs.

Hmm, Jim in Mendon might have some left. He also was looking to rehome some older hens that are still laying. If you'd like his number you can DM me.

His last batch had mostly Ameraucanas and some bantams I believe.

South Shore, MA here!

Just getting started with my own. Anyone know where I could pick up some chicks locally? I realize I'm a bit late into the season so all the feed stores seem to be long since sold out. I was hoping to avoid buying chicks by mail if I can.

Looking for 6 buff orps, plymouth rocks, or something easy for beginners with kids and well behaved dogs.

Back
Top Bottom