BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
Hello, I am also in Plymouth MA and a first time keeper of chickens. It hasn't been such smooth sailing. I thought I was prepared but it seems that I was not. Where did you get your chicks? Plymouth is quite a chicken friendly county. Lots of peeps have peeps here but I don't know any of them personally.

Like you, I accidentally ended up with a BR rooster. Thank goodness there was just the one. Legally, I think I could have kept him if my husband agreed. Alas, he did not agree. He said it just was not practical or realistic at this time. Wouldn't be fair to the hens or to him! I guess we did not have enough hens and the coop he is building is too close to the neighbors. He is not prepared to rebuild elsewhere at this time so my lovely roo had to go. I was attached to him and I miss him.
sad.png

My oldest girls (3 out of the 4 Barred Rocks) are now 19 weeks and one of them just started laying. I might have an egg eating problem though. Hopefully not because that would also be extremely disappointing.

I have 9 hens total and a newly built coop and run big enough for 20.
wink.png

My chicks came from a friend's nephew's school project... guess they hatched some eggs during the school year and the teacher couldn't keep them... so I ended up with them... my luck though.. both are boys.

A lot of peeps in Plymouth, my neighbors are pretty close too, otherwise I'd just keep them and get some hens as well... but the coop my hubby built probably will only hold 4-5 chicks...

Welcome to the forum. If you have only room for 4 or 5 then I could see wanting only hens. What a bummer to be stuck with 2 boys and no hens. Roosters are charming and useful but for newbies and small flock people they are a lot of trouble. My hens are delightful. I am really enjoying just having them around. It's been a real learning experience. hah! Wouldn't change it though. I'll probably add 3 or 4 more hens next year. One of these days I'll convince my husband to build a new coop way down the hill so that I can have a rooster. Feel free to compare notes. I love to talk about the chickens. My hens are currently running around in the garden singing the egg song. They are such liars!

Last edited:
MomofPeeps11 -
welcome-byc.gif

haemony -
welcome-byc.gif

I have 9 hens total and a newly built coop and run big enough for 20.

The more space, the better for the chickens! they love it!
Mitch​

That's what I thought Mitch. It seems healthier for them. I was given a lot of advice to build much bigger than what I thought I needed. There are actually only 6 hens in that huge coop. The 3 big girls have their own house (sized for 4) and a large run under the deck. They get free run of the entire upper garden as well. The little girls in the big coop will have about a 1/2 acre of free range and a lot of space in the run and coop even when we can't let them out. I want happy birds. I love to watch them run down the ramp and fly across the run when I let them out. They love it.
smile.png

I had a BR roo, he was dropped off at the farm. He became super human aggressive, and I had to get rid of him. He had an appointment with a hatchet, but at the 11th hour, a customer of mine took him. She called me to say he's getting on well with her flock, except that she uses a plastic snow sled as a shield when she has to go feed. She admitted he's the most agressive roo she's ever owned, and worse when he has hens to protect. BUT- she has no fear that he will protect the flock from creatures both wild and from the neighboring housing project. Her words, not mine.

Congrats on the new babies. I posted on your thread. Don't know anything about turkens but I have two Ameraucanas just like those. They are wonderful birds.

I am lovin the Americaunas... they are so sweet... yet they are still skiddish of me. The Turkish ones.. well they are pretty skiddish too. Haven't gotten their personality down yet.

Quote:
FYI, there are some sensitive chicken peeps that are particular about Araucanas, Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. In general, if you buy a hatchery "Americauna" you are buying an Easter Egger. There are true Ameraucanas (note the spelling) and true Araucanas, but you can only buy them from breeders. I wish I could explain all the details, but I am still learning them myself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom