BYC members in Massachusetts?

Anytime there is even the slightest inkling of bad weather or rain or anything mine all huddle inside. I gotta add a roof since the coop is kinda small. They stay in or come out briefly then go back in. I've seen some people say their birds splash around in the mud or whatever, love to get dirty. Not mine. Prissy little things LOL

My girls get soaked ! I don't know how many times we have had to dry the silkies off. Lol

My girls get soaked ! I don't know how many times we have had to dry the silkies off. Lol

Oh wow! With silkies I could imagine that would be more of a chore! Lol

Mine will come out if it's barely raining or the hide underneath but they don't like to come out.

Although lately they stay in a lot anyway whereas the few times they free range which isn't often they've been really active so maybe they're just bored lol

But the weather this week has been pretty bad and ground is still muddy, they love to dust bathe but can't. Though they did find or dig up a spot under some baby pines when they were out yesterday lol leave it to them to find a tiny dry dust bathing spot in or under forest litter
1f602.png
1f602.png

Last edited:
Hi Kelsey I have 4 Brahmas and they have also found dry soil under evergreen shrubs for their dirt baths.
Unfortunately they have completely stopped laying eggs for a week now. Just wondering how our fellow Mass.
members are doing with eggs.
Happy New Year
Powerhour

Hi Kelsey I have 4 Brahmas and they have also found dry soil under evergreen shrubs for their dirt baths.
Unfortunately  they have completely  stopped laying eggs for a week now. Just wondering how our fellow Mass.
Happy New Year
Powerhour

They sure do love dust bathes! Willing to do anything for them! Haha

I have 8 of all different breeds, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorp, 3 Buff Orpington, and 2 Easter Egger. All but 2 were in this pile (BR was standing next to them, BO was off eating lol ) so rather tight for all of them xD

But mine are actually only turning 10 weeks old Monday so no eggs yet! Hopefully they will be good layers though

Unfortunately they have completely stopped laying eggs for a week now. Just wondering how our fellow Mass.
Happy New Year
Powerhour

Right now we have about 15 hens and get 2-4 eggs a day, just from our 4 younger hens
hmm.png
. Most of the others are 3 years old and don't lay much in the winter.

Is anyone doing anything differently for the single-digit weather we have coming tomorrow night? I am keeping my feather-picked hen in my basement because I think she has too many bare spots….but otherwise hoping my 2 ducks will be fine under the coop, and my 5 hens will be fine inside it with extra bedding….

I'm gonna open up a hay bale and spread it around in the coop for the ducks to sleep in and any chickens that sleep on the floor. I am also giving them extra corn.

Oh wow! With silkies I could imagine that would be more of a chore! Lol

Mine will come out if it's barely raining or the hide underneath but they don't like to come out.

Although lately they stay in a lot anyway whereas the few times they free range which isn't often they've been really active so maybe they're just bored lol

But the weather this week has been pretty bad and ground is still muddy, they love to dust bathe but can't. Though they did find or dig up a spot under some baby pines when they were out yesterday lol leave it to them to find a tiny dry dust bathing spot in or under forest litter
1f602.png
1f602.png

My girls dug a hole in the middle of the yard for bathing! We also have a space in the run with no snow, but I wish we had some nice evergreen trees! Sounds warm and safe.

Unfortunately  they have completely  stopped laying eggs for a week now. Just wondering how our fellow Mass.
Happy New Year
Powerhour

I get 5-7 eggs a day from the 8 that are laying. They are first year pullets and some are "winter layers" so I tthink we're doing pretty well.
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom