BYC members in Massachusetts?

They are out and about!!

We have two roosters, Bo & Luke, each now has his own coop. This is Luke's. My husband built it himself.

Outside

Inside

We got him eight hens. They are 5 months old.

Last edited:
Wind last night kept me up... Thought the ducks would be blown all over the place it was that bad. So I open my window to check... Nope their just sitting there, wind blowing, still sitting. Do you ducks have like magnetic feet or something?

The snow... I go out, I come in, I go out 7 minutes later no evidence of me being out there at all lol. Almost everyone's shut down today, cept for a few restaurants.

Anyone doing anything special for the subzero temps this weekend?? Of course I am a nervous wreck since the coldest night I have had to deal with so far has been 8 degrees (according to my thermometer). Debating adding a ceramic bulb to my coop....not to warm it but to keep it reasonable (it has electricity so it's not like I would be putting an actual heater in there- just swapping a bulb). As for my ducks- just going to load them up on straw and keep my fingers crossed- they are big and fat and I am less worried- but I have 4 hens in the coop so I am more worried about them.....anyone that has been through temps like this have any advice for a newbie?

but I have 4 hens in the coop so I am more worried about them.....anyone that has been through temps like this have any advice for a newbie?

As long as there is no draft to chill the hens you should be fine. You can always add the bulb just in case. The added light at night might bother them.

Mine roost on a shelf and huddle to stay comfy. Sometimes my silkie cross will roast on the ground plank all by herself. One tough little chicken!

I am in Central Mass and my feathery bunch is going on four so they have been through a few winters now. I just make sure the coop is draft free but at the same time it is vented near the top to allow their breath to leach out. I do give them some scratch toward evening to give them something to digest at their ease over night. Biggest hassle is water and bringing it out several times a day; I just emptied a nesting box and spaced it up to handle a temporary water fount, it will freeze slower inside the coop but still will freeze.

Hope the ladies are ready for some brutally cold weather this weekend.They were all outside today for the whole day. They even laid 4 eggs
1f44d-1f3fc.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom