BYC members in Massachusetts?

Quote:
I am in Conway.

Keesmom, I moved last July. It was not under the circumstances I had originally anticipated. My partner had enough 'doing the right thing' and wanted things to change so he had more time and money for himself so all the farm except a few birds went away and so did we. I still have the Orloffs and a few bantams for the kids. And you LIED! MA is so much more expensive than ME. The food esp!

Know anyone interested in working on Black mottled Favs? I have a few chicks here that'd be good for it, F3

Do you know "Wildside Cottage and Gardens" in Conway? A friend of ours started it/lives there and she has some cool gardens.

Black mottled Favs sound awesome, do you have any pics showing what they look like?
big_smile.png

And you LIED! MA is so much more expensive than ME. The food esp!

Know anyone interested in working on Black mottled Favs? I have a few chicks here that'd be good for it, F3
Food cost where I am is vastly cheaper than Maine. Maybe because I'm in Market Basket territory? Prices in some cases are half what they are in Waterville. Last time I was at Hannaford in ME it was $4.29 for milk, compared to $1.99 on sale at MB. Deli meats/cheeses are $1-2 less per lb, bread is $2 less, shredded pizza cheese is half the price, and the list goes on. Even the Walmart up there can't beat the prices I have locally. I get sticker shock every time I go in Hannaford's or Shaw's. I buy most of what we need here and bring it with us.

Of course the property taxes are worse here.

I can ask Dick if he's interested in trying mottleds. I can't, one variety is enough for me.

Thanks KrisCVT! I have checked out coops for a cause and their prices are fairly reasonable. I might try to convince husband to get a coop and then make a run. Since I'm having trouble deciding between the 4x4 and 4 x 6. If I just end up getting 6 bantams, the 4 x 6 seems excessive and I worry they wouldn't be warm enough. Is yours insulated? Did you make your own run or get one there as well?

Sorry I just saw your reply....

I got the 4x6 for 5 hens and 2 ducks theoretically.....but my ducks do not use the coop. It is not insulated. We got an attached run too....I think t's the 8 x 4...I want to say the grand total was around $1200....we upgraded to hardware cloth, had a working window added, and fiberglass flooring put in, the coop wired for electric (it has a light socket, an outlet inside with an on/off switch for the light) and the roof added to the run.....All upgrades that I am glad I did. I was worried about it not being insulated this winter....but it got to -5 F (I stuck an outdoor thermometer inside so I could monitor temp from inside my house) and everyone did just fine. During the extreme cold, my only worry was the window opened side-to-side and seemed to be level with their roost- I wanted ventilation with it open some but didn't want it blustery. I ended up closing up the bottom half of the screen with additional plexiglass so any "breeze" would go above the hens and not at them...that's the only thing I think I would change. Here is a pic...

I LOVE my run. It's tall, and I love that it is covered with the clear roofing stuff (whatever it is). Makes it nice to be under it during a rainy day and do chores without getting soaked or having a mud pit.

Food cost where I am is vastly cheaper than Maine. Maybe because I'm in Market Basket territory? Prices in some cases are half what they are in Waterville. Last time I was at Hannaford in ME it was $4.29 for milk, compared to $1.99 on sale at MB. Deli meats/cheeses are $1-2 less per lb, bread is $2 less, shredded pizza cheese is half the price, and the list goes on. Even the Walmart up there can't beat the prices I have locally. I get sticker shock every time I go in Hannaford's or Shaw's. I buy most of what we need here and bring it with us.

Of course the property taxes are worse here.

I can ask Dick if he's interested in trying mottleds. I can't, one variety is enough for me.

Sorry, kniw this wasnt to me but i think thats more an individual store thing than a state thing. We live only a couple minutes from both Hannafords and Stop&Shop and so usually go there but I actually find Hannafords to be cheaper than Stop&Shop. Then further away but still pretty close is walmart, shaws, BJs. But we occasionally make the trip down to market basket because it is just SO CHEAP but that's the thing, it is just totally UNFAIR to compare a regular grocery store to market basket LOL the prices are too cheap :p

I think the prices on coops for a cause are a bit high, considering you have to buy the run separately from the coop. There is a guy in East Brookfield, MA that makes them all by hand and it includes a run.

We checked out his coops too before we settle on coops-for-a-cause....We initially had planned for our big, fat, pekin ducks to use the coop too...and the coops from the guy in E Brookfield all seemed too high for them without enough inside space for them and the hens. . As it is, our coop is too high, and they do not use it anyways....so trying to accommodate them didn't end up mattering! He also had a time frame of 8 weeks out or something crazy...he was super-busy; we needed a coop SOON as my birds were getting big faster than we anticipated Coopsforacause I think had our coop done in under 2 weeks.....

Anyone need to rehome a rooster? I want to add a roo to my flock and I'd like try to save one from the stew pot if possible before I look elsewhere :)

I have a young rooster who is well behaved and beautiful that I would love to re-home. I have a bunch of roosters so I don't need him but I don't want him to become soup. I'm in Groton, where are you?

Back
Top Bottom