BYC members in Massachusetts?

One warning about friendly chickens. They can sometimes think they are a parrot and want to land on your shoulder. Cute when you are big and they are small but might freak out a young child, or make them squeal with delight. They do it less as they get bigger and you can always clip their wings.

Hello all -
I don't have any chickens yet, because I am trying to do as much research as possible first! I live in Millis (not too far from Mendon/ Millville, but closer to Franklin, Medway, Westwood).
For someone just starting out, what are people's thoughts on buying a coop - from some place like Tractor Supply - vs. building one?
I am also wondering about which breeds people recommend. I am looking for good layers, who are friendly and cold tolerant. My son is 4.5, so I want a breed (or breeds) that will tolerate - dare I say, enjoy - the company of a child.
I have read good things about Orpingtons, and I love the look of the Swedish Flower Hen. I also read an interesting article on the Basque and the Dominique - does anyone have experience with either of those? Recommendations for breeds that may better suit my needs?
I would love to be in touch with anyone nearby!
Thanks in advance
smile.png

Hi! I'm in Mendon. I got 6 orpingtons, and I can say without a doubt that they are the sweetest, most lovable chickens for kids. Mine crouch down when the kids come so they can be picked up. They fly up and roost on their arms and even go in the pool with them in the summer. They also let the kids pull them around on the sleds in winter. They come when called, eat out of your hands, and follow you around like puppies. They are amazing. I love my orps to death. Fantastic layers too. I now only have 5 (A hawk got one:() and I get 4-6 eggs a day! They will slow down in winter, but that's normal. They are very heat and cold tolerant. My chickens will free range in 10 degree weather. They LOVE being outside and eat a ton of ticks. If you are a beginner, get all buffs. You will NOT regret it.

I had awful luck ordering a coop online. I'm not sure about TSC? My husband build our coop with the wichita cabin coop plans. They cost $5 and he modified the plans to make the coop larger. If you build, build a WAY bigger coop that you think you will need. Chickens are addicting!! I am getting 6 more chicks next week.

If you go to the wichita cabin coop page on Facebook, you can see pics of my coop. It's under the album "built by Jenny and Jeff in Mendon."

I meant to respond to this yesterday, I apologize!

When we added new chicks to our existing adult flock last spring I was SUPER stressed out about how to go about it. The solution that we came up with worked beautifully, and I will definitely do it the same way moving forward.

My boyfriend built a small chicken tractor that went into the run. It was big enough to house the pullets, a food bowl, water bowl, and gave them enough room to walk around freely. As they weren't familiar with roosting yet, we just used a rubbermaid container with a half circle doorway cut out of it at night. It just gave them a place to sleep that was enclosed and out of the elements.

It worked great because the chicks were safe inside the predator proof run, and safe from the big girls in the run. All of the birds could see each other and get acclimated to the others, but the hens couldn't get pushy with the little ones. I'd say we kept the pullets in that setup for 10 days or so and then started opening up the tractor to the run so they could mingle.

Here's a pic of what he made. The Rubbermaid container isn't in there, but you get the idea. Hope this helps!

Oh how cool. That is definitely an option. We were just going to divide up the run but this is super cute. My husband was talking about making a chicken tractor. I will show him this when he gets home from work. Thanks for sharing. I love the domed shape or what else would you call that. Anyway it's great. I love it
thumbsup.gif
Very nice like the design. I may have to build one myself. The only thing I would suggest you add, is a perlin, a bar connecting the hoops to add strength and keep them evenly spaced. That is what they do for tunnel/hoop greenhouses. Got this pic on the internet. It gives you the idea but I would have put the bar inside the hoop rather than on top. Sorry I dont know how to make pic smaller

frame-jpg.jpg

I meant to respond to this yesterday, I apologize!

When we added new chicks to our existing adult flock last spring I was SUPER stressed out about how to go about it. The solution that we came up with worked beautifully, and I will definitely do it the same way moving forward.

My boyfriend built a small chicken tractor that went into the run. It was big enough to house the pullets, a food bowl, water bowl, and gave them enough room to walk around freely. As they weren't familiar with roosting yet, we just used a rubbermaid container with a half circle doorway cut out of it at night. It just gave them a place to sleep that was enclosed and out of the elements.

It worked great because the chicks were safe inside the predator proof run, and safe from the big girls in the run. All of the birds could see each other and get acclimated to the others, but the hens couldn't get pushy with the little ones. I'd say we kept the pullets in that setup for 10 days or so and then started opening up the tractor to the run so they could mingle.

Here's a pic of what he made. The Rubbermaid container isn't in there, but you get the idea. Hope this helps!

LOVE this! I may start them this way as a brooder too!

I have a TSC coop kit and I would definitely recommend building your own. I'd say it might be 3x3? So it's way too small for our 8 but it might work for a smaller number if birds, maybe 4 max. That's the thing, they recommend way more birds than can really fit. But anyway, ours is already falling apart after only a year. It's still together but you bump into it, it moves, the tray is rusting, etc. It might be okay for less birds or if cleaned more regularly but I just would not recommend it. Even if it was still perfectly sturdy, it's also a huge pain to clean. Some of the bigger models might be okay, my parents just bought the last one on Black Friday because the chicks were outgrowing the brooder. If you took time to research it might be okay. But most are made in China and made of cheap wood and fall apart in no time. For the money, you can build a much bigger and nicer one. Even if you only want a few, even a small coop you make would be cheaper and better than this thing. I should also add we added a 6x12 chainlink dog run around it and it has a partial roof. I don't think I would ever trust this thing to be predator proof on it's own. Too flimsy.

But that's just my experience, some people have done fine with them, but I wouls just highly recommend building your own. Especially because even if your kit lasts longer than mine, it will eventually need to be replaced so you'd be better off just building now imo

Hey everyone! I just joined because I'm planning on building a coop and getting a few chickens. I'm really interested in conservation breeding, so I'm probably going to try to get some fancypants endangered breed and, well, breed them.

So, anyone in Central MA? I just moved back from the Boston metrowest area. I grew up in a neighboring town, and have been kind of hankering to get back here for a while, so I'm pumped to not only be in a more rural area, but to also be somewhere where I can have chickens.

Hey everyone! I just joined because I'm planning on building a coop and getting a few chickens. I'm really interested in conservation breeding, so I'm probably going to try to get some fancypants endangered breed and, well, breed them.

So, anyone in Central MA? I just moved back from the Boston metrowest area. I grew up in a neighboring town, and have been kind of hankering to get back here for a while, so I'm pumped to not only be in a more rural area, but to also be somewhere where I can have chickens.
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
I am in Upton so very close to you. This is my first year with chickens and I am loving them. They are currently watching me type now as they are still little chicks and are in my study in a dog crate brooder. I have 9 but pretty certain at least one is a cockerel. Which breeds are you considering? I found it a little difficult to find breeders but I found two that have really been great. So if you are interested in any of the breeds I have I could point you in the right direction. I don't know how "rare" my breeds are but I have a few interesting ones I think. I have cream legbar, swedish flower, french black copper maran along with some more common breeds like Light brahma, welsummer, rocks in three varieties (silver penciled, buff and two barred).
How do you plan to house your chickens? You should go to the coop pages and check all the different types out. I spent months looking over everything before I came up with a coop plan. I have a thread chronicling my adventure building it as I have never picked up a power tool in my life before this. Let me know if you need help on that issue also. If you wanted chicks through a feed store instead of breeder Im pretty sure the Mane Place in Uxbridge is getting chicks very soon and may already have some. Good luck and keep us posted!

Welcome! As you might have read about, chickens are ADDICTING, you will always need more once you get them so make the coop bigger than you think.
I'm out in western ma.

Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
I am in Upton so very close to you. This is my first year with chickens and I am loving them. They are currently watching me type now as they are still little chicks and are in my study in a dog crate brooder. I have 9 but pretty certain at least one is a cockerel. Which breeds are you considering? I found it a little difficult to find breeders but I found two that have really been great. So if you are interested in any of the breeds I have I could point you in the right direction. I don't know how "rare" my breeds are but I have a few interesting ones I think. I have cream legbar, swedish flower, french black copper maran along with some more common breeds like Light brahma, welsummer, rocks in three varieties (silver penciled, buff and two barred).
How do you plan to house your chickens? You should go to the coop pages and check all the different types out. I spent months looking over everything before I came up with a coop plan. I have a thread chronicling my adventure building it as I have never picked up a power tool in my life before this. Let me know if you need help on that issue also. If you wanted chicks through a feed store instead of breeder Im pretty sure the Mane Place in Uxbridge is getting chicks very soon and may already have some. Good luck and keep us posted!

Welcome! As you might have read about, chickens are ADDICTING, you will always need more once you get them so make the coop bigger than you think.
I'm out in western ma.

Thanks for the welcome, guys! Glad to see that there are people nearby. :D I always feel a bit isolated when it comes to farming ventures, since it seems I'm right in the middle of the no-man's land of the southern piece of central MA. I definitely plan on making a coop bigger than I think I'll need, @Lozuufy! I'm thinking of making two, actually, one for free range hens and another for pastured roosters to eat. We'll see.

@Merrymouse: oh maaaan. I'm looking into getting Barred Hollands and setting up a breeding program to help get the breed from where it is now closer to the standard. I'm looking at like, ten years of work ahead of me, but it should be fun work! It's looking like I'm going to have to get them from a hatchery, though. I'd much prefer a private breeder, but so far I can't find any that are within what I consider a reasonable driving distance (which, um, is like, 8 hours one-way, so it's a wide definition of "reasonable").

I've been looking at coop designs, and I'm not sure what I'm planning to do yet. Ideally I'd be doing a deep litter bedding in a coop I can actually get into to clean out once a year, but I'm not sure I can come up with a good design for that. Especially considering I'm looking to make a pallet coop, since I don't have much money to spend. Free supplies in the form of pallets + free labor in the form of me = subpar but useable coop! I have some experience with power tools, but not a whole lot, and not with anything fun (fun being circular saws). I figure most of my budget, once I figure out exactly what that is, is going to go to getting a circular saw and getting the chicks and feed themselves, you know?

Do you know if Mane Place has like. Ugh, my brain is empty of the right word, but like. Bags of single grains instead of (or, well, in addition to) straight up poultry feed? I'm interested in mixing my own feed and possibly doing fermented, because I am a giant hippie and stuff. I'm probably gonna head out there to check it out today, once I'm done applying for jobs from my parents' house. Gotta love getting laid off! It gives me plenty of time to obsess about how much I want chickens and read up on all the advancements in chicken care since the last time I had them. :D

Back
Top Bottom