BYC members in Massachusetts?

You really shouldn't mess around with mountain lions. Where I grew up it took 10 years to go from "there are no mountain lions here" to sniping them (dead) out of suburban neighborhoods and backyards with little kids. They are not something you should live with. They do not respect people. It's not in their instincts and prey is prey. Since the govt has made it illegal to kill them (farmers are still allowed to protect their property and family with lethal force against most wildlife if I read the laws right), and the govt will have to get their rear in gear which they will avoid doing as long as possible, someone is going to get hurt, and it's our job to make sure it's not OUR kids and spouses getting hunted, especially if you are living in the woods like many of us are, so @Wee Farmer Sarah 's warning is most welcome. Thank you neighbor. Stay safe.

Mass is a tiny state with relatively little are to cover, but has done a lousy job of preventing coyote and coy-hybrid attacks/bites. I'm honestly afraid to see how they handle mountain lions. They aren't very practical about predators and on this mountain lion issue, approaching things in a disconnected way could be lethal to people.

But hey, I'm just a farmer, with a pack of big dogs, and who is legally allowed to protect myself from these things that threaten my family, stock, and property. What do I know?

You really shouldn't mess around with mountain lions. Where I grew up it took 10 years to go from "there are no mountain lions here" to sniping them (dead) out of suburban neighborhoods and backyards with little kids. They are not something you should live with. They do not respect people. It's not in their instincts and prey is prey. Since the govt has made it illegal to kill them (farmers are still allowed to protect their property and family with lethal force against most wildlife if I read the laws right), and the govt will have to get their rear in gear which they will avoid doing as long as possible, someone is going to get hurt, and it's our job to make sure it's not OUR kids and spouses getting hunted, especially if you are living in the woods like many of us are, so @Wee Farmer Sarah 's warning is most welcome. Thank you neighbor. Stay safe.

Mass is a tiny state with relatively little are to cover, but has done a lousy job of preventing coyote and coy-hybrid attacks/bites. I'm honestly afraid to see how they handle mountain lions. They aren't very practical about predators and on this mountain lion issue, approaching things in a disconnected way could be lethal to people.

But hey, I'm just a farmer, with a pack of big dogs, and who is legally allowed to protect myself from these things that threaten my family, stock, and property. What do I know?
Thank you for saying it like it is. For starters, mountain lions are not indigenous to Massachusetts. So they are really in “our backyard.” The rare creatures are a result of them being pushed out of their natural habitat. I guess some people think we are a bunch of crack pots that shoot wild critters willy nilly. Not true, we have a great respect for wildlife, however if confronted by a serious threat we protect our own.

Thanks, I think it comes down to experience. A lot of people haven't had to try to live with these things. I love wildlife, otherwise I wouldn't live out in the woods. I just also love living and having my kids safe! People crying foul at shooting vicious or large predatory animals that come after people when they feel like it are probably safe in their suburbs, apartments, or working indoors! It gets a lot more real after you've lived and worked around them for a while. Plus, with many animals you just deal with the ones that cause you problems (I don't think cougars work that way unfortunately). Regardless, good luck.

Thanks, I think it comes down to experience. A lot of people haven't had to try to live with these things. I love wildlife, otherwise I wouldn't live out in the woods. I just also love living and having my kids safe! People crying foul at shooting vicious or large predatory animals that come after people when they feel like it are probably safe in their suburbs, apartments, or working indoors! It gets a lot more real after you've lived and worked around them for a while. Plus, with many animals you just deal with the ones that cause you problems (I don't think cougars work that way unfortunately). Regardless, good luck.
I do find it amusing when these same wild animal defenders from the suburbs of Boston freak out when the wild turkeys are stopping traffic during their mating season. LOL!

Oh gosh, don't get me started. And turkeys are the mildest of wildlife interference too.

DH took this photo while biking on the neighbor's driveway (big hill). He's kind of far away, but you might be able to see it.
Buck deer.jpg

Nice. I had some overgrown shrubs cut down last year and had them tossed into my little woods. The deer visited quite often and enjoyed munching on them. They stripped all the tasty stuff and I haven’t seen them since. Turkey’s are the most polite. They walk around my garden fence and don’t even make eye contact with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom