BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hi,
I didn’t realize this thread existed! I live near Boston. Have 3 hens.
I’ve had a really hard time over the last 2 years since I’ve started. Bumble foot, foot virus, Impacted crop, round worms, and softshelled eggs...not to mention always picking out rooster instead of females. 🙄
i clean the coop and run at least 2 x a day, fresh clean water Daily, quality food, electrolytes, vitamins, crushed shell 24/7.
right now I think 2 are semi broody, 1 soft shells. But I am reading a lot, and speaking to others trying to relieve the issues.
I’m looking for 2 large breed pullets over 7 weeks, but can only find small chicks.
any help appreciated
karen

Attachments

• 4EEAE9E3-ECD3-4838-B748-01A69952F260.jpeg
    4EEAE9E3-ECD3-4838-B748-01A69952F260.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to the thread @Crazychocolatedog. Glad you found us. What type of feed are you using? I have one hen who produces a softer / thinner shell and have determined it is likely due to a vitamin D deficiency. Finding pullets this time of year is a bit challenging. There are usually some available in September but they will cost between $20 to $30 a piece.

Welcome to the thread @Crazychocolatedog. Glad you found us. What type of feed are you using? I have one hen who produces a softer / thinner shell and have determined it is likely due to a vitamin D deficiency. Finding pullets this time of year is a bit challenging. There are usually some available in September but they will cost between $20 to $30 a piece.
hello !!!
I alternate feed between Purina omega plus laying feed and Green Mountain Organic feed ( I think this product isn’t good!) .
Once a week a crush up a Calcium / D vitamin tablet and add to treats or water.
the hen laying the soft eggs had round worms ( I treated them all ) over a month ago ( from 2 roo chicks I returned ). I think it stressed her , ...she was egg bound last week. ive since dosed her a few times with Calcium gluconate a few times by oral syringe. -and had to soak her.
She’s passed 3 very soft eggs this week.
the other 2 sit on in the nest box for long periods and create enormous poos! But they do leave the boxes and forage when I let them out a few hours every day.
Ugh. I feel like I try so very very hard yet I Always have a problem.

I'm not an expert, however I switched from layer feed to all flock 1 1/2 years ago. Switching their food frequently isn't a good idea either. The all flock has more protein and when your hens aren't laying they don't need all that extra calcium. I put vitamins in their water once a week and feed them some scrambled eggs every 7 to 10 days. They get OS on the side.

I'm not an expert, however I switched from layer feed to all flock 1 1/2 years ago. Switching their food frequently isn't a good idea either. The all flock has more protein and when your hens aren't laying they don't need all that extra calcium. I put vitamins in their water once a week and feed them some scrambled eggs every 7 to 10 days. They get OS on the side.
thank you. That’s good information to remember when Summer is over and egg production really stops .
~ last Fall when they stopped laying, they molted shortly afterwards. I wasn't aware at the time, that I should have stopped the layer feed,....It was our first molt, and it was scary. I fed them “feather fixer “. It really helped, they were down to Pin feathers.

thank you. That’s good information to remember when Summer is over and egg production really stops .
~ last Fall when they stopped laying, they molted shortly afterwards. I wasn't aware at the time, that I should have stopped the layer feed,....It was our first molt, and it was scary. I fed them “feather fixer “. It really helped, they were down to Pin feathers.
Yes, molting can be a bit scary and important that the girls get enough nutritious food. They do need extra protein to replace their feathers. Since yours don’t get any free range time, meal worms help.

Hi,
I didn’t realize this thread existed! I live near Boston. Have 3 hens.
I’ve had a really hard time over the last 2 years since I’ve started. Bumble foot, foot virus, Impacted crop, round worms, and softshelled eggs...not to mention always picking out rooster instead of females. 🙄
i clean the coop and run at least 2 x a day, fresh clean water Daily, quality food, electrolytes, vitamins, crushed shell 24/7.
right now I think 2 are semi broody, 1 soft shells. But I am reading a lot, and speaking to others trying to relieve the issues.
I’m looking for 2 large breed pullets over 7 weeks, but can only find small chicks.
any help appreciated
karen
How old are these hens?

Dodge Grain in Salem NH has some shipments of 8 week olds scheduled over the next couple of months. Do you have space for additional birds?

Back
Top Bottom