BYC members in Massachusetts?

Thank you.
The oldest 2, are two, one is 1 1/2. The young one is a blue copper marans that I hatched.
I heard dodge gets pullets.I’ll have to remember to call! I have room for at least 5 more, but I only want a total of 6. (TheCity only likes us to have 3, but nothing Is written on paper)

@Crazychocolatedog
Welcome!
Do you belong to any FB groups?
There are several people on there that have pullets available.
I do but none of the groups I belong to offer pullets. Helens Happy hens ocassionlly does, but not now.
MAbackyard chicken owners usually has chicks.Since I am so limited on quantity, it’s a big let down to go through the chick hassle only to end up with Roos.
‘PLUS...I really really want light colored, and /or large breeds like Cochin, orphingtons, wheaten amerucaunas....something along those lines.

Thank you.
The oldest 2, are two, one is 1 1/2. The young one is a blue copper marans that I hatched.
I heard dodge gets pullets.I’ll have to remember to call! I have room for at least 5 more, but I only want a total of 6. (TheCity only likes us to have 3, but nothing Is written on paper)
I don't know why you are having problems with soft shelled eggs with birds that age. Have you tried adding oyster shell? I do that, give them their eggshells back, and feed an all flock feed.

I do but none of the groups I belong to offer pullets. Helens Happy hens ocassionlly does, but not now.
MAbackyard chicken owners usually has chicks.Since I am so limited on quantity, it’s a big let down to go through the chick hassle only to end up with Roos.
‘PLUS...I really really want light colored, and /or large breeds like Cochin, orphingtons, wheaten amerucaunas....something along those lines.
Dodge had some 8 week old Cochins in a couple of weeks ago. They have Langshans now.

If you after a good layer I'd reconsider Cochins. We have several and all have ben lousy layers. They've been almost constantly broody from late spring until early fall. They don't even need to see eggs to start up.

I don't know why you are having problems with soft shelled eggs with birds that age. Have you tried adding oyster shell? I do that, give them their eggshells back, and feed an all flock feed.

Dodge had some 8 week old Cochins in a couple of weeks ago. They have Langshans now.

If you after a good layer I'd reconsider Cochins. We have several and all have ben lousy layers. They've been almost constantly broody from late spring until early fall. They don't even need to see eggs to start up.

hi thanks
Good info about Cochins. I dint want broody birds.
The best layer I ever had was a beautiful but miserable bully marans. Dark chocolate Eggs every day!
After we had the round worms, 2 chickens eggs went soft. I treated them 2x with safeguard During the worm breakout, . They seem healthy otherwise, I’m just worried now that an egg will break or be stuck.
I will give Dodge a call and see what they are expecting. MYbe I’ll pass on Cochins. That’s too bad, they are so pretty. I don’t need lots of eggs, but I’ll worry if they are sitting in a box 24/7. I wish I could find a wheaten Amerucana. My EEs have been my best birds. Very Friendly, & pretty eggs, often.

Ps. I leave oyster shell and grit out 24/7. I also add calcium and vitamins D to their water once a week. and grind up old shells and add to food.
the two soft layers also got calcium gluconate syringed for a few days.
It’s heart breaking. I’m really worried about them. 😪

Then definitely avoid Cochins! I'm trying to break 4 of them right now, 2 LF and 2 bantams. Along with 2 broody Marans and a Spanish. The Cochins are being particularly frustrating.
I got mine hoping they’d go broody but then my SS went broody :laub

Hey guys. I have about a dozen cornish cross x chicks available. These are meat birds. 1 week old today. $3.50 each. Take 10 for $30. Will deliver a reasonable way.

20200702_093430(0).jpg

20200702_093315.jpg

Back
Top Bottom