BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
What's with the snow!!!!
tongue.gif

I am up by the Mendon line on Rockmeadow Ext. Last night was wonderful huh? How do keep your flock warm, fed and watered? Any tips for this newby?

Here in the Berkshires I kept my coop pretty well closed up. Need ventilation to prevent condensation. I was advised not to heat the coop in any way. Tlhe girls will fluff to keep warm and if coop is heated they will not be able to handle the outside temp. I had a feeder in the coop and used a 2.5 gal pail with nipples to water. to this I added an aquarium heater of the smallest size I could find. It looked like a paddle and was designed to go under the gravel. This was plugged into a temp. sensitive plug from Tractor Supply and keep the water above freezing.

Looks like we all survived that northeaster!!

Friend is leaving for NJ to help family without power, again. She offered to have Grandmother come stay with them , but not right now.

I change out the waters twie a day to keep the water flowing, and I fill it with warm water. THe poults especially seem to need the warm water. THey do chill easiily.

Wonder if we will have a bad winter? Hopefully just a normal winter. Keep warm everyone! ANd enjoy the few days of 60 degree weather.

I had more damage done with this nor' easter than hurricane sandy! Nothing too major thankfully. I do think it's going to be a rough Winter, we were too spoiled last year.

Nice to hear it's going to be good weather for a while, I can finally get caught up on my yard work!

I'm looking to get to a few swaps this fall. I have a few POL pullets I've been growing out if anyone is interested.

Buff Orpingtons-- sold out
Easter Eggers/Olive Eggers, -- dwindling numbers
Blue/black /splash chicks 6 weeks-- sold out
Bourbon Red turkeys-- limited numbers

If anyone can connect me to upcoming swaps . . . . .

edited to add update availability.

Last edited:
Hello Massachusetts keepers! I'm in Connecticut, but I'm looking for links to farms, businesses, hatcheries, etc., who deal with poultry in Massachusetts. Any help is appreciated.
Please visit nefowl.com (the Mass links would go here). Send me a message, post it on the site, or post it here. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom