BYC Members VOTE! Default Private Message Feature: Save Sent?

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Nifty-Chicken, Sep 25, 2010.

1. YES! Change the default to save all my sent PM's

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO! Leave it the way it is (default not to save PM's)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

--------UPDATE-------
    The members have spoken and the change has been made. See here !
    -------------------------

We see a lot of peeps who wonder why their PM's aren't saved. We also hear from members that say they wish their PM's check box next to "save" was default checked instead of default unchecked.

We can make the change that by default all PM's are saved, but that would mean peep's PM boxes would fill up faster. So, we decided to leave it up to a vote for our members to decide!

If we change the default to "Save" then you'll need to remember to uncheck the box if you don't want to save the PM. Remember, your PM boxes will fill up about twice as fast.

So, please vote in the poll and let us know what you want us to do! [​IMG]

2. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Im all for it. I always forget if i have sent a msg to someone, or what Ive actually written so it'd be handy.

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    It would be an easy task to delete all the ones in your Sent box if your inbox is reaching fullness...

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    After two years I guess I'm used to just saving the ones I want. Yes, there have been a few I've regretted not saving that I didn't remember to save, but previous to Platinum, my message storage would have filled up right away if saving were the default.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Like Mahonri, I am used to saving now. If I do a cleanout I save the real treasures to a Word document. Very rarely do I need or want to save one for more than 2 weeks.

I think a bigger improvement would be an "auto-quote" function. I frequently send a PM on one day and don't get a response for another 2-3 days. By then I have forgotten what was sent. And if I save all Sent messages, the PMs fill up too fast.

What I'd LIKE to see is people reading the FAQs, found at the top of the Index page. That answers so many questions about the site and chicken tending! [​IMG]

So, I guess I am a No vote. But I relearn quickly, no big deal.

ETA, boy am I outvoted! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Voted YES! It's just easier to clean out my PM's every once and a while, rather than having to remember every time to save them when sending. (I'm not getting any younger, you know! [​IMG] )

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Well, it's a great way to get people to upgrade their memberships from free blue to paying for GFM or Platinum, so they have more PM storage space.

Mine got out of control a few times, so I clean it out darn near daily now! (Can't same the same for my regular email, it's a mess!)

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Voted yes. I think it's a great idea. [​IMG]

9. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yes! I'll clean it out later rather than losing valuable pms that I forgot to save.

10. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Maybe it's more complicated than this but could it be set up as a profile option that we could check or uncheck what we want it to default to? That way everyone would be happy... if that's possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by