Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
As many of you know, we do updates to our community software about every 2 weeks. We rarely post the specific details about these releases because they often include tons of behind-the-scenes geekery, bug fixes, tweaks, etc.

With that said, we have a product release we're scheduling for next week that has a few bits I'd like to share.

As many of you know, we've been working hard to improve the performance of BYC. Most of the research we've done (and we do a LOT of research) shows us:

1. Users on the newest versions of their internet browsers have pretty decent performance using BYC
  2. About 25% of our site visitors are on Internet Explorer 8
  3. IE 8 is a 4 year old browser. In internet time, that's like taking a Model T onto the freeway and trying to not run into trouble wit all the cars around you going 65 MPH
  4. BYC will function in IE 8 and even IE 7 and other older browsers, but performance will not be very good
  5. If you want the very best user experience, we STRONGLY suggest you use the newest version of Google Chrome or Firefox, both of which are free (some reports show Chrome may be the best choice).

Programmers all over the world bemoan having to design websites for super old browsers... it's like asking the Department Of Transportation to create a separate highway system just for the Model T's and other cars that can't go above 40 MPH.
wink.png

Again, we suggest everyone on IE 8 or below just try to install Chrome or Firefox and if it is a problem you can always go back to IE 8. With that said, recognize that some people still won't and maybe even can't upgrade their super old browsers... so we keep plugging away at trying to do our best to support them without crippling the user experience for those on newer / updated browsers.

On that note, here are some of the notes from our engineers related to some of the accomplishments of the hard work they've been doing:

Quote:
Non Geek Version: BYC should render faster in all browsers, especially IE8!

Keep in mind that an even 1 - 3 % increase in performance is usually really hard to accomplish, so above that is pretty freaking amazing!

We look forward to seeing the results of the performance updates next week. While many users may not even notice, we hope that those who have had problems will.

(oh, and in case you didn't get the memo: If you're on IE 8 or below, PLEASE INSTALL GOOGLE CHROME!)
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Any chance of an iPad/iPhone app soon? at all?
A mobile friendly option is in the works but this takes quite a bit of time and can be expensive. For now BYC can be viewed on TapaTalk. This app can be downloaded for free and for many makes viewing the forum easier.

I just got word that we'll be rolling out the updates tomorrow. We're not sure exactly what time, but there will be a bit of downtime (hopefully no more than 30 minutes).

I'm VERY curious to hear if those peeps on IE 8 notice any difference!

I just got word that we'll be rolling out the updates tomorrow. We're not sure exactly what time, but there will be a bit of downtime (hopefully no more than 30 minutes).

That's what I am on (here) at work. I sure hope to see a difference tomorrow night!

i dont get one much with IE9 so stayed on IE8

and just got used to it so hence dont use firefox or chrome

will report back with my finding on loading speeds

How do I know what version of "geek" I'm on?
Do I go into "my computer" to find out?
Where?
Told ya I am stoopid.
Thanks, guys, but I am sure MANY of us old timers are wondering the same thing!

Back
Top Bottom