BYC Poo Page - Warning, Pictures

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I'm in a rural area and there are no vets I can submit a sample to.

Haven't heard of ascites prior to this, but my flock has had several cases of EYP and cancer over the years. All of my Mareks/cancerous birds have developed these feather clusters, in which the follicles are closely spaced and multiple feathers are growing out of single follicles. The largest growth on the Silkie looks like a cancerous mole, and felt like a rubber eraser. Based upon past experience, it seems like cancer.
So sorry.

-Kathy

This has been going on for months. Have used safeguard, corid, and tylan. Hen was going though molt at the same time and was losing weight, almost 30%. Feathers are back, weight is going up but poop is still soft. The top two pictures are the most recent, the bottom three are from before the corid and tylan.
did anyone decide what this was caused from? Hen i just lost had similar droppings, very thin, drinking alot. Wormed with valbazen, quit laying during the summer

Still no change, I switched from flockraiser to scratch and peck, now I just get different color poo. This has been 5 months since I noticed (started using poop board under roost). Other than that she seems normal, eats, drinks and forages. The "chicken vet" near me looks like a dilapidated house, not taking any animal of mine there.

Still no change, I switched from flockraiser to scratch and peck, now I just get different color poo. This has been 5 months since I noticed (started using poop board under roost). Other than that she seems normal, eats, drinks and forages. The "chicken vet" near me looks like a dilapidated house, not taking any animal of mine there.

Two questions. Can you post a photo of the different colour poo, and have you weighed her? If you have weighed her and she isn't losing weight (or if she is a good weight for her breed and age) and it has been going on for a long time then maybe you shouldn't worry too much. Is she laying - if so how often, and are her eggs normal or weird? (Funny shape, distorted shell etc.)

I have an 18 month old pullet who has one or two tarry, sticky poos per day (at least one overnight on the perch, where I have to scrape and clean it off!
sickbyc.gif
) At first I thought it was because she was young and settling in, but it has continued for over a year. She is keeping her weight, laying regularly, eating happily, so I have given up worrying.

I can post another pic later that is more recent. She is approx 1 year old Gold sex link/Comet, she stopped laying and molted last fall around the end of October. She was laying basically every day until then. She has not yet restarted laying. Weight was dropping before molt, but all feathers are back now and weight has increased to where it was before. She was 4.5lbs in September and dropped to 3.5 during the molt. Last weight was back to over 4lbs, have not checked in about a month. I can check that later too.

Last edited:

This is the poop tray every morning.
I just got back from vacation and restarted my fermented feed jar, so all three are eating fermented scratch and peck layer feed. They were getting regular dry feed while I was gone.

Back
Top Bottom