Ended BYC Poultry Knowledge Quiz - Win Prizes!

All questions and winning posts

If I have made an error, please let me know.

Due to a spreadsheet malfunction, I had a couple of duplicates. :oops:
#11 & #17 are duplicates
#18 &# 20 are duplicates

1 - Do you need a rooster for a hen to lay eggs?

2 - What is the most common comb type?
2.) single

3 - What is a male turkey called?

4 - What is a male duck called?

5 - Do chickens have ears?

6 - Some geese have a knob Where is it located?

7- Does a pea comb look like a pea?

8 - When a bird is molting, what is it doing?
8. losing and replacing feathers

9 - What is the main difference between bantams and large fowl?
9.) Bantams are small

10 -What is on a duck’s foot that helps make it a good swimmer?
10.) Webs

11 - Where is the spur located on a chicken?
11. Back of lower leg.

12 - Does a hen normally lay more than one egg a day?

13 - Where on the body of a chicken would you find a muff?
13.) Chin and cheeks

14 - What is the body part called where the egg or poop comes out?
14. Cloaca

15 - What mineral is important for good egg shell formation?
15.) Calcium

16 - Where is the preen gland?
16. top of back close to tail

17 - Where will you find a spur?
17. Back of lower shank...

18 - Do chickens have an appendix?

18 - Where will find the comb?
19.) The top of the heasd

20 - Do chickens have an appendix?

21 - How many kidneys do chickens have?

22 - How many toes does a Salmon Faverolle have?

23 - Is the cushion comb common?

24 - What is this called?
1627158780738.png

24) egg tooth

25 - What is this called?
1627158938243.png

25.) Bean

26 - You will find a snood on a chicken chick, a duckling, or a poult?
26.) poult

27 - What gas can be produced my manure that is toxic to chickens?
27.) ammonia

28 - What is a male goose called?
28) gander

29 - How many primary flight feathers do most poultry have?

30 - What is a flock of geese called?
30.) gaggle

31 - What is a baby guinea fowl called?
31.) keet

32 - Which of the following temperatures would work for incubating eggs-95, 100, or 105 degrees?

33 - What type of comb does a Sicilian Buttercup have
33) buttercup

34 - What does “dual purpose” mean?
34.) meat and layer

35 - What is a neutered rooster called
35.) capon

36 - Which sex determines the sex? Male of female?
36.) female

37 - What is the hairy patch on the front pf a turkey called
37) beard?

38 - What type of bugs are these?
1627159920504.png

38.) Lice

39 - What type of bugs are these?
1627160077211.png

38) sticktight fleas

40 - What type of worms are these?
1627160308701.png

41 - What type of worms are these?
1627160467898.png

41. roundworm

42 - If a baby duck is a duckling and a baby goose is a gosling, what is a baby swan?
42. cygnet

43 - What is the horny protuberance on top of the Guinea Fowl head called?
43) helmet?

44 - On what species will you find caruncles?
43: turkeys?

45 - Many starter feeds for baby chicks are medicated. What disease is the medication able to prevent?
45 coccidiosis

46 - Are cocci and coccidiosis the same?

47 - What time of day do duck usually lay their eggs?
47. morning

48 - What species of domestic fowl have a penis?
48. ducks

49 - What vitamin deficiency is the most common cause of leg problems in ducks, turkeys, & peafowl?
49. niacin

50 - What internal parasite can be found in the crop, esophagus & the intestines?
50 capillary worms

51 - What species of fowl hatches with semi-developed flight feathers?
51.) Peacocks

52 - If you breed two black Muscovy ducks and they produce a chocolate duckling, what sex is the duckling?
52. female

53 - What organ is connected to the crop & the gizzard?
53.) proventriculus

54 - If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female, what is the progeny called?

How long does it take for the following eggs to hatch: chicken, call duck, duck, turkey, & 55 - Muscovy duck?
21, 26, 28, 28, 35

56 - What disease affects all poultry but is most devastating to turkey & peafowl breeders?
56.) Histomoniasis

57 - All birds have air sacs. Can you name th air that is only found in male ducks?
Syringeal bulla?

58 - What time of day do peafowl usually lay their eggs?
58. evening

59 - What color?
1627161637214.png

59. Golden

60 - When do Emus lay eggs?
60.) November-March

No....the original name for them in everyday use is Golden. It has only been recently that the term 'Red Golden' has been applied by amateurs due to the explosion of breeders trying to breed different color variations.
Regardless of the color, the scientific name is the same for all Golden pheasants; Chrysolophus pictus

Yellow Golden is a mutation of a Golden, that Dr. Ghigi bred and developed into what the Yellow Golden is today. When first introduce in sufficient numbers, they were also known as Ghigi Goldens and sometimes called Lemon pheasants.

Other color variants are, Peach, Salmon, Cinnamon, Mahogany, Dark Throated, Silver and many different 'Splash' variants within the groups. There is very little documentation on these color variants. A guy named Louie, is given credit for the Peach Goldens within breeder circles but the exact origin is still in dispute.

Sorry, for the winded explanation but ill regardless of the color they are all known as Golden pheasants.

Last edited:
No....the original name for them in everyday use is Golden. It has only been recently that the term 'Red Golden' has been applied by amateurs due to the explosion of breeders trying to breed different color variations.
Regardless of the color, the scientific name is the same for all Golden pheasants; Chrysolophus pictus

Yellow Golden is a mutation of a Golden, that Dr. Ghigi bred and developed into what the Yellow Golden is today. When first introduce in sufficient numbers, they were also known as Ghigi Goldens and sometimes called Lemon pheasants.

Other color variants are, Peach, Salmon, Cinnamon, Mahogany, Silver and many different 'Splash' variants within the groups. There is very little documentation on these color variants. A guy named Louie, is given credit for the Peach Goldens within breeder circles but the exact origin is still in dispute.

Sorry, for the winded explanation but ill regardless of the color they are all known as Golden pheasants.
Thanks for the in-depth explanation….I guess my confusion came from the original question asking “what color” vs “what (bird breed etc) is this”

Your welcome!

:goodpost:@007Sean, thank you for posting that!
I apologize for highjacking this thread @casportpony , I raise all of them except the Mahogany and Salmon, those color variants are extremely hard to get to breed true but then again so are the other color variants! There are also 2 color variants of the Silver Goldens...haven't been able to get what I would call a 'true' Silver Golden but working on it!
With Peach Goldens, you might get the standard Peach color or a Peach Splash, eventhough, both breed stock 'look' like Peach Goldens.
s-l1600.jpg

The color variant of Silver Golden I have, notice the buff colored breast and flanks.

images.jpg

True Silver Golden, white crest, breast and flanks and snow white back.

Here are some pics of the different color variants.
81f655b808526c9efc75a007c5d0a0be.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the in-depth explanation….I guess my confusion came from the original question asking “what color” vs “what (bird breed etc) is this”
Another mis-conception...pheasants are not recognized by 'breeds' but by species or their common names.

Back
Top Bottom