BYC question and answer thread....

Ok....
Why do some chickens go broody and some don’t?
It really just depends on the bird. Its true that some breeds of chicken are really prone to going broody (like Silkies), while with other breeds, you will rarely have a hen go broody (one example is the leghorn). But I've heard of leghorns who went broody and were great mothers, as well as of Silkies who never went broody in their life.

Last edited:
It really just depends on the bird. Its true that some breeds of chicken are really prone to going broody (like Silkies), while with other breeds, you will rarely have a hen go broody (one example is the leghorn). But I've heard of leghorns who went broody and were great mothers, as well as of Silkies who never went broody in their life.
X2. I'm not sure what makes a specific bird broody. It probably has something to do with their genetics.

As for me I can help with emergency or certain diseases. Respitory disease, how to tube feed, wry neck ect. I'm here to help.

I have a question...
how much should i sell Pekin duck eggs for?
and how do i hatch them? do i let the mom hatch them or do i use an incubator? i don't have an incubator but i know how to make one...

I have a question...
and how do i hatch them? do i let the mom hatch them or do i use an incubator? i don't have an incubator but i know how to make one...
I'm not exactly sure how much they should cost, as I don't raise ducks. Chicken eggs for hatching usually cost about 2-3 dollars an egg, and I think duck eggs should cost about that much, too. If you're selling the eggs for eating, I'd sell them for maybe 4 dollars a dozen, as they are larger than chicken eggs and ducks don't lay as many as chickens.

If you have broody hens, you can let the ducks hatch them. But it is often a better idea to incubate eggs in an incubator. You can make an incubator, but buying an incubator is often better. There are many good incubators out there.

I have a question...
Are the eggs your thinking of selling fertile? If so, prices for fertile eggs range from 1-4 dollars an egg, depending on its quality. But if you're just selling them for duck eggs to eat, I would sell them for maybe $3-4 a dozen.

As for hatching the eggs, if you mother duck goes broody, you could certainly let her hatch the eggs on her own. If she isn't prone to being broody, though, you'll have to incubate the eggs in an incubator. Hatching duck eggs in an incubator is similar to hatching chicken eggs--the only differences (that I know of--I'm not a duck breeder) are that the eggs need a higher humidity during incubation, and they take 28 (as compared to 21 days for chickens) days to hatch. If you want more information on hatching duck eggs, I would post a few questions on either the Ducks or the Incubation part of the forum.

Back
Top Bottom