BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

Pics
I did get one more, but had to intervene, as it has been pipped for over 24 hours, wasn’t zipping, and I noted decreased movement and peeping. We’re calling it “Turtle” because the poky thing didn’t want to come out of its shell. 😊
I think I will start saying "Turtle" instead of the bulkier "Pip But No Zip". Thanks! :)

Edit: I have four pips!

Last edited:
20220102_103636.jpg

20220102_104430.jpg

Not part of New Years hatch, but I had put in an extra green egg and 2 tan ones to hatch today, because the green egg was from a hen, I wanted to see her babies, but the green egg was a dud. The 2 in the incubator are, LO/EE hatched and the other egg is peeping, is a silver penciled rock/EE. They will go to play with my New years hatch when they get their sea legs.
12az.PNG

My final tally was:
9 eggs set
2 clears
1 early quitter/explosion
1 late quitter
3 dead in shell
1 live chick

What an abysmal hatch. I’ve never had such a disastrous result before. I’m washing/sterilizing the incubator as best I can now and getting ready to set some shipped Bielefelder eggs. Fingers crossed for a better result this time around.

I picked up two Silkie companions for Eve. They’re less than a week old, so they should be a good match for her. They were started under a heat lamp; first mission is teaching them to use the brooder plate instead. Eve is much happier already, though!

Eve:
1FC8C649-341D-4E13-8C3C-66F1CB5E1323.jpeg

Silkies:
CC3D890D-1B97-4149-9532-70B42EA97531.jpeg

51263BA7-6168-4780-8A24-BBDFDBDDEE10.jpeg

My final tally was:
9 eggs set
2 clears
1 early quitter/explosion
1 late quitter
3 dead in shell
1 live chick

What an abysmal hatch. I’ve never had such a disastrous result before. I’m washing/sterilizing the incubator as best I can now and getting ready to set some shipped Bielefelder eggs. Fingers crossed for a better result this time around.

I picked up two Silkie companions for Eve. They’re less than a week old, so they should be a good match for her. They were started under a heat lamp; first mission is teaching them to use the brooder plate instead. Eve is much happier already, though!

Eve:
View attachment 2947901

Silkies:
View attachment 2947903
View attachment 2947904
These babies are absolutely adorable! ❤

Back
Top Bottom