BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

Pics
I just got my egg shipment notification today:( I probably won’t be able to set them until like the 16-17th! I feel your pain

can I have an exception? I called the breeder on the phone and he was sure I would have my eggs by the 14th- now they’re late and just shipped out this AM.
Yes!

It is ok!

Did you set any eggs?
No, I have not - in fact, I plan to cull at least four more birds tommorow to further reduce flock size! If i had a second freezer I'd cull at least 10 plus a large, mostly anti(people) social goat who is eating me out of house and home, but putting on no more weight....

oh, did i mention my wife wants to add rabbits?

A third of my eggs were clears. I suppose that's not entirely surprising for a December hatch from a relatively young flock. It's the first time I've had more than 1 clear/quitter in a batch, though. So much for my 90+% hatch rate streak!

I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and won't be back until the 23rd, so my incessant candling will be curtailed this time around. Lol.

No, I have not - in fact, I plan to cull at least four more birds tommorow to further reduce flock size! If i had a second freezer I'd cull at least 10 plus a large, mostly anti(people) social goat who is eating me out of house and home, but putting on no more weight....

oh, did i mention my wife wants to add rabbits?
Rabbits will be fun!

Are they going to be pets or for meat?

A third of my eggs were clears. I suppose that's not entirely surprising for a December hatch from a relatively young flock. It's the first time I've had more than 1 clear/quitter in a batch, though. So much for my 90+% hatch rate streak!

I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and won't be back until the 23rd, so my incessant candling will be curtailed this time around. Lol.
Thanks for the report!

Black Australorp that has potential to be crossed with buff orpington or speckled sussex.
But most likely pure australorp. But I accidently set them on the 14th, oops, three days late it is!
That is fine for the hatch a long!

Back
Top Bottom