BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

Pics
I didn't join the hatch a long but I did put eggs in the incubator on the 12th and a couple more on the 13th. I had 9 eggs in that didn't do anything. Out of 21 eggs I have babies growing in 8. Candling is amazing! All others have been removed from the incubator. Today I have to remove the turner which doesn't work and put them on lockdown. I'm super excited! My roosters are young and have started dancing with the girls so to speak. I'm sure a lot of the eggs just weren't fertilized. No growth whatsoever. I think 8 is a good number though. It's going to be fun trying to figure out"who's your daddy?".🤣 I have 2 Bielefelder roos and an Azure Egger who we call Mack Daddy cause he gets all the ladies. The eggs in the incubator come from my Easter Egger hens. I'm so happy to be able to follow along.
It is nice to see you here!

I plan on putting my eggs into lockdown tonight so I’ll be candling them. When I moved them to my other incububator yesterday though they ALL still looked GREAT!! I’m so excited. They are bantam eggs and I put them in the 14th. So they SHOULD hatch the 1st or 2nd

3x.PNG

4 out, 6 pips, and 4 waiting for action day 20...

IMG_20211230_132253293~2.jpg
Locked down! These Welsh Harlequin duck eggs are due to hatch on Jan 2nd.

I've been having a few early birds the past couple hatches, so I might have pics on Saturday after all. (I don't know if it's the incubator running hot, or a duck hen doing the "broody practice" thing where they sit for a while, then lose interest, giving the stealth nest ones a head start.)

This is the first time I've set unsanitized eggs. I changed my practice because I want to be like @AgnesGray when I grow up. :lau

View attachment 2944478Locked down! These Welsh Harlequin duck eggs are due to hatch on Jan 2nd.

I've been having a few early birds the past couple hatches, so I might have pics on Saturday after all. (I don't know if it's the incubator running hot, or a duck hen doing the "broody practice" thing where they sit for a while, then lose interest, giving the stealth nest ones a head start.)

This is the first time I've set unsanitized eggs. I changed my practice because I want to be like @AgnesGray when I grow up. :lau
So jealous that these are your "dirty" duck eggs! :barnie They're gorgeous!!!

(Next I'll convince you to mist them! 🤣 :lau:gig)

May show my ducks that shamelessly bury them any and everywhere they please. lol I don't think they can be shamed though. It must be that ducks (even in egg form) enjoy a little dirt on them, but they do seem to seek it out around here and hatch just fine with a little schmutz on them. 🤣

Still no pips here. I did a quick candling this afternoon, and I have 4 eggs drawing down with movement, though. I opened my late quitter and confirmed my suspicions; looks like it quit around day 15 or so. I'm not sure why, other than it was the most porous egg and the closest to the one that exploded, so perhaps it just couldn't withstand the contamination.

Back
Top Bottom