BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

Pics
Some of my new years hatch 20220102_113812.jpg 20220102_113905.jpg 20220102_114037.jpg

Well, a third were clear (expected), a third are in the brooder, and a third have yet to hatch. Not too optimistic for the last ones. Not sure if it's the time of year, or these quail were too young. The eggs weren't quite full sized. I do have a few Italians/pearls in the brooder though, so that's a success for me.
It is good to have some hatch!

It is sad one only one chick hatches.

Of my 12 eggs, 5 made it to Day 14, 1 has hatched, 1 has been pipped for almost 24 hours, still seeing movement but no zipping, 1pipped but missed the air sac and suffocated (broke my heart that I didn’t know in time to do anything), and 2 haven’t pipped at all. Unfortunately, we discovered at about Day 18 that my daughter with special needs was “helping” fill the reservoir when no one was looking like she’d seen me do. I’d been struggling to keep the humidity consistent and didn’t know why. I think that’s why I lost so many. How long should I let this remaining chick just sit in the egg and breathe?
I hope you get at least one more to hatch!

I have had a few hatches recently. I live in dry E. WA and have a foam incubator. I add no water first 18 days, and yet it is still about 50% humidity in my incubator, (Use a non-digital reader) Then I add water on day 18 lockdown humidity is at 60% until they start to hatch. Then it gets higher. My last hatches, lockdown .#'s..7/8, 11/11, 12/14
Perfect!

I hope you get at least one more to hatch!
I did get one more, but had to intervene, as it has been pipped for over 24 hours, wasn’t zipping, and I noted decreased movement and peeping. We’re calling it “Turtle” because the poky thing didn’t want to come out of its shell. 😊

Attachments

• 3A32B40F-0B6B-4FBB-927E-E92AD0AE6A87.jpeg
    3A32B40F-0B6B-4FBB-927E-E92AD0AE6A87.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom