BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

Pics
How's everyone's hatch going? I'm waiting and watching very impatiently.☺️
Two of my bresse from bresse farm have hatched. :jumpy:jumpy
One other chick is unzipping.
I gave up counting the pips since the two that hatched are playing kickball with the other eggs.

In the other incubator, I have 1 pip and some others that are internally pipped, but that batch is running behind even though they all incubated together until lockdown. We'll see how they do.

This is the chick that hatched today, it is bored in the incubator waiting for the other chick to hatch, I have it sitting on my chest. My feet are up we are warm by the fire. snow storm tonight.
This is Regal.
regal.PNG

Too little to go with the New year's chicks yet...

Two of my bresse from bresse farm have hatched. :jumpy:jumpy
One other chick is unzipping.
I gave up counting the pips since the two that hatched are playing kickball with the other eggs.

In the other incubator, I have 1 pip and some others that are internally pipped, but that batch is running behind even though they all incubated together until lockdown. We'll see how they do.
I have 2 that are a day behind. I'm ready for something to start happening. I have been candling for the first time and have loved seeing them progress. I'm learning so much.💛

I did get one more, but had to intervene, as it has been pipped for over 24 hours, wasn’t zipping, and I noted decreased movement and peeping. We’re calling it “Turtle” because the poky thing didn’t want to come out of its shell. 😊
That is good news!

My final tally was:
9 eggs set
2 clears
1 early quitter/explosion
1 late quitter
3 dead in shell
1 live chick

What an abysmal hatch. I’ve never had such a disastrous result before. I’m washing/sterilizing the incubator as best I can now and getting ready to set some shipped Bielefelder eggs. Fingers crossed for a better result this time around.

I picked up two Silkie companions for Eve. They’re less than a week old, so they should be a good match for her. They were started under a heat lamp; first mission is teaching them to use the brooder plate instead. Eve is much happier already, though!

Eve:
View attachment 2947901

Silkies:
View attachment 2947903
View attachment 2947904
Congratulations!

My baby chick "Regal" likes to sit by my face, but makes a big stink if I try and pick her up. She thinks that is weird.
We are sitting on the couch and having cheese, salmon, salami, apple, and crackers. I gave her a bit of the salmon and crackers. And sips of egg water.
regal.PNG

regay.PNG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom